Not sure where to begin. Mystery stream on my land (too much water ?!?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have 5 acres on a hill out by Pryor. My pond supposedly never goes dry but 95% near did this year during the heat. (Bought at the end of spring) Area's of the land during heavy rains certainly get swampy and leading to the pond and in places can see where some water channels are vaguely there.

Near 2 weeks ago, moving I noticed along my fence line there was soggy mud and visible water in places. It's now widened to be about a 10 foot wide or so swath that goes all the way to my pond, basically 1/4 inch of standing water picking up pace closer to the pond into a outright shallow stream.

The one neighbors I've never talked to are kinda trashy, always working on cars, and via the other neighbors, one of them usually in jail at any given time. The water seems to near the front of the property near the road start coming in from them. Hard to see since it's all over grown but I can see water in their yard definately flowing my way. (And oil on the surface nearest where it comes into my yard. Walking the road, the water doesn't appear in the shallow ditch, so unless it's running from deep under the road, I think it originates in their yard.
Not sure if this could be some natural stream that occasionally surfaces, otherwise I'd assume water main leak. I'm on rural water and they said they can only really come look at the area of these folks meter, and never reported back to me.

So my question is, who do I even begin to call to try and figure it out? It's pretty sweet that my pond is full to overflowing and the stream is nice near it, but it's starting to just get wider and going to hinder my ability to mow, or I'd actually think drown some tree's.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, that was one angle, I know theres federal water something or another people across the hall from my extension office, maybe theyd become interested if I'm saying there's running water with oil in it. Though I'd rather not actually get big daddy EPA involved in any way, they'd be just as app to say, don't care source, it's on your land, your fine.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would find some steel panels and bury them and try and divert the water into some PVC type drain pipe and make it go to my pond.
Actually i would have talked to my neighbors by now also.

For new neighbors I make cookies and take them a batch.
If I am the new neighbor I make many batches.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okie 1 will only locate the lines they have under contract, i know here they only locate elec and telephone the gas and water locates their own. And when Okie does locate they only do the main and up to any meter or main connections. Now you can get a pool chlorine test kit to check the water for chlorine but you have to be close to the main supply to get a accurate reading the longer the sun hots it the more chances of a negative test results. And if you do call Okie all you need is a address but i always give the gps cordance off of google maps for my locates

Latest posts

Top Bottom