Not sure where to begin. Mystery stream on my land (too much water ?!?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitz-

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No smell, too much too long sustained for sewage I'm fairly sure. In the front area where it's leaking, there's a small red pipe that is apparently a fire hydrant of sorts, the other neighbor whos a volunteer firefighter is going to check w/ his chief tommorow and nail down who supplies that particular main as it's smack dab around the source of the water.
Test kits a good idea, but I'd need to go 30 feet into the sketchballs yard of 3 foot weeds. So as stated, might be too dilluted/sun backed by the time it reaches my property.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok this is weird I have water running out of the ground by my barn and can’t figure out where it is coming from
That’s not good! Sounds like a waterline leak.
Is it on a downhill slope where it comes out of the ground?
If so dig small holes uphill and watch for wet dirt and the hole to start filling up. If it does, move up another 10’ and start a new hole.
When you reach a dry hole, move back 5’ and dig another. Eventually you will pinpoint the leak.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago. I lived in an area down the hill where the ground was moist almost year round.. Rainy seasons more moisture and water bubbling out of the ground after a heavy rain. 50 years previously a 8 inch main water pipeline was put into the neighborhood. As it turned out. Someone missed or forgot to put a 3/4 inch plug into the main line that was just discovered a few years back. Shezam, my garden was dry the next summer. Humm

Also. Most main Pipelines are steel. Water has chlorine in it, has to be at least 3parts/million at your faucet to meet standards. Chlorine is corrosive to metals. Stuff can happen. Yep, everything man has done 10,000 years ago or 50 or 20 years ago if made of steel or plastic might not last forever.

Yep, I am in a water table just south of you. Yep, lake level, Grand, Hudson, Gibson was up most all spring if something is filtering out of that, but levels have been down for a while and are really low now. Yep, in my opinion, commercial waterline is the prblem. Keep us updated of phat you find.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That’s not good! Sounds like a waterline leak.
Is it on a downhill slope where it comes out of the ground?
If so dig small holes uphill and watch for wet dirt and the hole to start filling up. If it does, move up another 10’ and start a new hole.
When you reach a dry hole, move back 5’ and dig another. Eventually you will pinpoint the leak.
No water leak on my end we have been trying to locate it for a while now

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s probably a break in their line from the street to their house.
They probably either haven’t noticed the bill increasing or know and don’t care enough to do anything about it at this point.

That’s my best guess. Too bad it doesn’t have more oil, you could've been the next Jed Clampitt.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sounds like someone got their meter removed for nonpayment and went out and put a makeshift jumper and didnt make a good connection to steal water, I use to see it often from people like described when i was working.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the water line between the meter and the house break. It was buried deep so I didn't see any water come to the surface. The water company came out and locked out my meter when my bill hit $5K. Fortunately, I was able to negotiate it down to $500. From the city to the meter their problem, from the meter to your house your problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom