Nothing new here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was sorting brass cases and depriming a baggie full of 40 S&W
I had some 9MM cases stuck in them I pulled out and tossed aside.

While sitting there working the handle on the Lee Cast iron single stage press I had a thought.

Many people make jacketed bullets from old cases that are smaller than the case you are shooting.
I measured the 9MM..Too small for a 40 jacketed bullet.
I measured a 380 case and I thought maybe i could run it through a .358 bullet size die.
I tried to do just that with plenty of sizind die wax on the case.

Nope!
I got 3/4 of the way in and felt like the table was going to break.
I pounded that case out and decided I needed to anneal a .380 case and try again.

That went much better and I was rewarded with a .358" OD case.

I have not taken it any farther but I did research it and some people have made jacketed bullets from that case for the 38-357 magnum.

So Nothing new here.

Just more work.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I had to go fill it with lead so I took the propane torch to a dirty old clip on lead wheel weight and let the lead drip into the case.
I then heated the case with the torch to get it all filled out well.
Filed the top flat.
Looks like I filed it at an angle.
I need to not do that.

Anyway it weighed 163.1gr and my red Lee 158gr bullet beside it weighs 167.5 gr.

I have cast from that same Lee mold and got 170 gr after alox lubed and gas checked.

Now I need to see if I can profile the nose a bit. Nope just crushed the case a bit.FAIL.
Should have left it flat like a wad cutter.

002.JPG

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a swage die to make 9mm into 40 projectiles. You anneal the 9mm case with primer in it, use a soft lead cast 120 grain lee truncated bullet, turn it upside down in the case. you then insert the case in a shell holder that holds 9mm, then use the lee expander (used to open up rifle case mouths) to push the lead and have it adhere to the case walls, then I use a btsniper die that puts a point and a makes it a hollow point and expands the case to the right diameter, I use a walnut hill swage press for that operation. I also can make them have the 'pedals' on them. I make 223 bullets from 22lr cases, 308 projectiles from 5.7 x 28 cases. Almost any case can be made into a bullet for other calibers. The drawback on the 223 bullets is they will come apart at about 3000 fps because the jacket material is so soft, but I've shot coyotes and other varmints with them and they do a good job, it won't penetrate a deer or hog, but does great on thin skinned animals. The dies are expensive, but could be made if you have machinist skills.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard people making 40 jacketed bullets from 9mm and 45 from 40, i dont know if when you swag the lead bullet inside that it expands the brass or not i personally have tried it yet

Reloading Rod

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave Corbin, Richard Corbin make the dies, they run anywhere from $500 to $1000 a set for one caliber, Btsniper makes them also, but just be for warned they are all expensive. Most of the core form, rim removal on 22lr, core swage dies can be made pretty simple, the point form dies are the tough ones

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Reloading Rod those are very nice looking bullets.
I will try the expander and push some lead into an annealed case and see what I get.
Not today though I need to do a timing belt and crank/cam seals on the Camo corolla.
That should take up some of my morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom