Now I know why aluminum boats are so popular

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I was out at thunderbird, I hit a submerged stump while idling through a stumpy cove. Boat is brand new and I was worried...checked it on the trailer after we were done fishing and NOT EVEN A SCRATCH...Tracker diamond coated hull so I would have though at least the finish would be scuffed but it made me feel good about the decision to buy aluminum. Also, no wooden transom to rot out like fiberglass. I just felt like sharing; I do wish aluminum boats were rated for more HP though.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of them are rated for a lot of HP.
Like 150 and 175 HP how much ya need.
My 15 foot closed bow 1975 Bayliner mosquito fiberglass is rated at 85 HP.
It has a 50HP on it.

I had a deckett deck boat with 95HP Evinrude with 1 weak cylinder that ran 42 MPH with top down.
I thought I would get smart and stuck a 125HP mercury on it that engine is much heavier and it would only go 35 MPH.
No matter the prop size.
It sat much lower in the back. I should have rebuilt the Evinrude .

It is nice to be able to smack things under the water.My bayliner is old and thick and it has fallen off the trailer onto a gravel road and just minor scratches. beat onto the rip rap a few times and has went over many logs in the Arkansas river

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well those fiberglass boats are heavier and can be rated for more power. I've seen a 15ft glass boat with a 90hp on it. The same thing in aluminum might be 35-40hp max rating; maybe less. Mine is 17ft (16.8) and has a max of 50HP...It will run 36mph with two big guys in it but I'd have had to spend 6k more to get 75hp and 3-5mph more and it wasn't worth it. The 40-60hp mercs are all the same I think and I am trying to find out how to make my EFI 50hp into a 60hp...on the Yamaha's it is apparently easy but not sure on the fourstroke mercs. None the less, I like the smaller size of my boat because I can get into spaces I wouldn't take a larger, more expensive boat.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Aluminum Express X23B rated and equipped with a 250hp Yamahamma. It’s been stuck on hidden stumps at Sardis Lake, OK. Some scratches but no dents.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My beat up old 1964 aluminum starcraft fishing boat has seen many fiberglass ski and sail boats come and go in the parking space next to it. I havent found anything yet that will offer as much fun for such little upkeep.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a tracker 1432 riveted. Will never buy another riveted boat. Spent a ton with the welder. Sold it and got a lowe 1642 semi-v all-weld. It's a dang sturdy boat and handles the elements better plus I can bounce it off hidden stumps without as much worry.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a tracker 1432 riveted. Will never buy another riveted boat. Spent a ton with the welder. Sold it and got a lowe 1642 semi-v all-weld. It's a dang sturdy boat and handles the elements better plus I can bounce it off hidden stumps without as much worry.

I have a 14' 1952 Larson riveted that my grandpa bought brand new that I still own, and several members of this forum have been on. Some multiple times. After a day on the water, there might be a sign of a tiny seep along one seam, but its been in some high water that would make you pucker your backside.
My dad was an LST driver in the Navy and high water in a small boat did not cause him any fear. I grew up in that thing on just about every lake in oklahoma on weekends. If it got windy, out we went. He loved boating in high water.
It fell into disrepair while I was gone out of state/country, and ended up in a pasture forgotten. Meanwhile I went through pontoon boats, Ranger bass boats, jet boats, etc, and finally saw the old larson in the field. Pulled it home, and restored it with a new aluminum transom, pressure treated plywood seats with padded seats added, fish locator, trolling motor, crank winch in the back that has an anchor at the bow, and a 20 hp Merc that will run it 23 mph according to a gps with just me in it. Great fishing boat.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They certainly don't make them like they used to. The aluminum is much thinner now and wears fast.

Your correct. I think there is a rivet about every 3/8" in Grandpa's old boat with big heavy heads.
I have a Tracker 185 now that is a welded hull. We haven't had any issues with it, but I've read of some issues other have had with cracks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom