Now I need suggestions for creating a lawn where my trees were.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get 99% of those chippings up from the stump grinding.
I have done it many times.
I put up a shield when grinding stumps to keep the tossed debris from breaking a window or just scattering it too far.
Rake up what you can then use a bag type push mower with a high lift blade.

The rest can be sucked up with a Shop Vac.
You will be surprised how well the Vacuum works for picking up leaf litter and acorns.

My neighbors thought I lost my mind when I was out vacuuming my lawn with a 20 gallon shop vac.

I have done sod and seed and Hydromulch.
My uncle owned a lawn company and the Hydro was easy and quick.
Bermuda seed mixed with cellulose insulation and 10-20-10 fertilizer and water.
Texas does it on the highways or did years ago.
[Broken External Image]

I tried to rig up a small water pump and pump a mixture onto my lawn but the pump was a small jacuzzi pump and it did not work out.

The cellulose holds moisture and keeps the seed in place.

Yukon Bermuda seed makes a very tight beautiful lawn.
http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/yukon.html
https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/bermuda-grass-seed/yukon-bermuda-grass-seed.html

It was developed by the Oklahoma State University.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get 99% of those chippings up from the stump grinding.
I have done it many times.
I put up a shield when grinding stumps to keep the tossed debris from breaking a window or just scattering it too far.
Rake up what you can then use a bag type push mower with a high lift blade.

The rest can be sucked up with a Shop Vac.
You will be surprised how well the Vacuum works for picking up leaf litter and acorns.
I've got about 6 inches deep of shavings to suck up in two places. Now after the rains it is heavy and soft and I sink into the shavings causing ruts. Oh well, I'm retired.

My neighbors thought I lost my mind when I was out vacuuming my lawn with a 20 gallon shop vac.

I have done sod and seed and Hydromulch.
My uncle owned a lawn company and the Hydro was easy and quick.
Bermuda seed mixed with cellulose insulation and 10-20-10 fertilizer and water.
Texas does it on the highways or did years ago.
[Broken External Image]

I tried to rig up a small water pump and pump a mixture onto my lawn but the pump was a small jacuzzi pump and it did not work out.

The cellulose holds moisture and keeps the seed in place.

Yukon Bermuda seed makes a very tight beautiful lawn.
http://www.bermudagrass.com/info/yukon.html
https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/bermuda-grass-seed/yukon-bermuda-grass-seed.html

It was developed by the Oklahoma State University.
I had a shop vac doing the same thing with the acorns. I inherited a Briggs powered lawn vac that looks like a push mower.
That bag fills up really fast and I'm covered in red dirt dust from head to foot after an hour. Damn thing works at sucking dirt but not much else.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used the "leaf mulching" bag that came with my blower one single time. It went straight to the trash can with the "mulched" leaves still in it. Then I had to take a shower. Was going to anyway but damn, I was covered in with the stuff.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your broadcaster the crank type or the wheeled one? I have the crank type and I'm looking for pull behind tools. If I cannot find any I'll make my own.
Its a crank type but it broadcast pretty wide. How large an area are you doing?
I did my 1 acre with it and it was a bit small for that but still got the job done. Just took longer.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man oh man I am pooped!

The tree picker uppers just left.
notreesnomore.jpg
notreesnomore2.jpg
notreesnomore3.jpg

Here is my meager farm. Ha! It's probably 100 X 50 that is bare but I want to redo all of it, probably another 40 X 40 and 20 X 20. Sure ain't the 4 sections I used to farm. :sweat:

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff said about bermuda and how it grows. Basically water and sun and it will grow like crazy once it warms up. Seeds are tiny and very expensive compared to other grasses per pound. I would personally suggest sprigs as one person said if your not using sod. Get some pieces of sod from sod store. Cut them in 3 to 4 inch squares. Step on them a time or two and lay the water to it. Nothing is happening with Bermuda till May at earliest. Good bermuda yards are still yellow for a month and a half after other folks are mowing weeds. Also don't forget where they trench in that line. It will settle and you will have a low spot there. So you will want to address that also.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate yard work. Lay a concrete slab and paint it green and be done with it.
You would love Phoenix. EVERYTHING is beige. Yuk. A lot of people have Astroturf they just vacuum every week. They do have palm trees and cell towers that look like palm trees and cacti.

3098732719_b0d5d40125_o.0.0.jpg

camouflage-cell-phone-towers-13.jpg

Flagstaff cell tower
01_robert_voit_new_trees.jpg

If you have a Saguaro cactus you cannot cut it down or even trim it. You have to pay someone to remove it but only with permission from the city.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of good stuff said about bermuda and how it grows. Basically water and sun and it will grow like crazy once it warms up. Seeds are tiny and very expensive compared to other grasses per pound. I would personally suggest sprigs as one person said if your not using sod. Get some pieces of sod from sod store. Cut them in 3 to 4 inch squares. Step on them a time or two and lay the water to it. Nothing is happening with Bermuda till May at earliest. Good bermuda yards are still yellow for a month and a half after other folks are mowing weeds. Also don't forget where they trench in that line. It will settle and you will have a low spot there. So you will want to address that also.
I wonder if anyone has Yukon Bermuda sod?

Latest posts

Top Bottom