Now I need suggestions for creating a lawn where my trees were.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mow it short=more water. Their Astro variety is a hybrid of sort.... not as fine bladed as tiff and a bit more tough in hot weather. Still a very soft Bermuda.

I’m in a similar situation as you.... big tree was taken out by the ice storm. There is fescue that won’t make it in the full sun. I will be using Astro sod to replace the fescue.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW... you won’t be able to seed until May. Then it will be weeks before the seed covers. You will have erosion to deal with. Same with sprigs. Both will cover with time. Sod eliminates most of the erosion....Right now it will just sit there.... it will begin rooting when the ground warms up.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Native Bermuda is usually a coarse bladed grass. Tiffway/tiff 419 is a very fine blade grass that is really soft and can be mowed very short. It is a common variety on golf course fairways.
Huh. Not an expert on specialty stuff for golf courses (lol, or much else anymore), but the native we always seeded was finer than the haymaker varieties I've bought in bales.

Good to know.
:drunk2:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In all seriousness, find a foot operated tulip bulb planter. It pulls a cone shaped plug from the ground about 5" deep so a bulb can be dropped in and the dirt put back into the hole.
Put the dirt in a bucket you remove from the bare spot, go to a part of your yard where bermuda is growing nicely, and start removing plugs to be transplanted into the holes in the bare spot.
Fill in the holes in the existing bermuda lawn with the dirt from the bucket.
The advantage of plugging is that the roots are healthy, and 5" deep. Less watering, and a healthy plug is less likely to be effected by traffic on the yard or erosion. As it sends out runners, dig a small trench 1" deep with a hand trowell to bury the runner in. It will take root and send out its own runners. Keep a nitrogen fertilizer on it as that promotes runners and top growth.

https://www.amazon.com/Yard-Butler-...ords=Tulip+Bulb+Planter&qid=1611727408&sr=8-2

Latest posts

Top Bottom