Now I understand the reason for proper battery disposal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thought it was a good idea to dismantle a big Milwaukee M18 battery. As I was taking it apart it shorted out and became a flame thrower. Luckily I got it outside before any major damage was done.

DA47A874-FDEB-4354-924A-8BD86E5E9E28.jpeg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn, dude! I had no idea... Then again, I never wanted to dismantle a battery.

I've heard of 9V batteries causing house fires from people throwing them in the trash where they short with a piece of foil or something. But nothing like that.

You were almost the reason for one of those annoying warning stickers that are on everything...like batteries.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep - I had a medium-sized, swollen LIPO battery that I decided to puncture and soak in water before tossing in the trash. Bad idea. Thankfully, I was in the garage and quickly got it to the driveway with a shovel. I had a good fire / fog going in the driveway. Batteries plus now gets those damn things.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the cover off and saw the many 3.2 volt battery cells and thought I would take them out and test each one. I had all the connections removed and then tried to split the remaining case with a screwdriver. I think I punctured one of the cells and it literally blew flames out 18” for at least 20 seconds, maybe more. I was able to knock it off my workbench then picked it up with a long screwdriver and took it outside burning. After all that I thought that thing could have exploded. It looks like maybe 2 or 3 of the cells burned. Couldn’t imaging if all the cells went off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom