• Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  • All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

NRA might be going away?

Truckdriver

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/11/9959...ase-heightening-risk-for-dissolution-of-group

Judge Dismisses NRA Bankruptcy Case, Heightening Risk For Dissolution Of Group

May 11, 20214:43 PM ET
A federal bankruptcy judge dismissed an effort by the National Rifle Association to declare bankruptcy on Tuesday, ruling that the gun rights group had not filed the case in good faith.

The ruling slams the door on the NRA's attempt to use bankruptcy laws to evade New York officials seeking to dissolve the organization. In his decision, the federal judge said that "using this bankruptcy case to address a regulatory enforcement problem" was not a permitted use of bankruptcy.

The bankruptcy trial had paused other legal challenges the NRA had been facing, but this decision returns the NRA to its confrontation with the New York Attorney General, which is seeking to shut down the group for alleged "fraud and abuse."

"The @NRA does not get to dictate if and where it will answer for its actions, and our case will continue in New York court," New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a tweet after the ruling. "We sued the NRA to put an end to its fraud and abuse, and now we will continue our work to hold the organization accountable."

The National Rifle Association said during the trial that it had enough money to pay its creditors. Instead, it declared bankruptcy for a tactical reason: to avoid the reach of the New York Attorney General. Last year, the New York AG sought a court's approval to dissolve the NRA, alleging a wide variety of financial misconduct, chiefly by the NRA's top executive: CEO Wayne LaPierre.

The trial also gave a rare look into the behavior of Wayne LaPierre, who has led the controversial organization for almost 30 years. A secretive figure, LaPierre makes few public appearances outside of carefully scripted speeches.

During questioning, he admitted to annual trips to the Bahamas, where he would stay on a luxury yacht belonging to an NRA vendor — a conflict of interest he did not disclose at the time, which testimony and court proceedings showed was in contravention of NRA policy. Instead, he justified the Caribbean trips to the court as a "security retreat" that was necessary for his safety and that of his family members.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I’m gonna get crucified for this but The NRA has pretty much Shot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions. Choosing Wayne Lapierre as president was big enough oops. But when I was a member they had something in my mailbox daily telling me who to vote for. It may not annoy some, but I like to think for myself when it comes to voting. Their sole focus was firearms..... I mean I get that..... but some these candidates were anti death penalty. Pro abortion. Lots of things I didn’t agree with about the candidate. I just found the thought it interesting that some folks don’t do much research on their own and probably voted as instructed. Like I said. I know I am gonna be brutalized for this post, so let er rip tater chip!

Last edited:

druryj

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gonna get crucified for this but The NRA has pretty much Shot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions. Choosing Wayne Lapierre as president was big enough oops. But when I was a member they had something in my mailbox daily telling me who to vote for. It may not annoy some, but I like to think for myself when it comes to voting. Their sole focus was firearms..... I mean I get that..... but some these candidates were anti death penalty. Pro abortion. Lots of things I didn’t agree with about the candidate. I just found the thought it interesting that some folks don’t do much research on their own and probably voted as instructed. Like I said. I know I am gonna brutalized for this post, so let er rip tater chip!

Nah, no brutalization should be coming your way. I for one applaud you wanting to make your own decisions and sticking by your principles.

Snattlerake

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gonna get crucified for this but The NRA has pretty much Shot themselves in the foot on multiple occasions. Choosing Wayne Lapierre as president was big enough oops. But when I was a member they had something in my mailbox daily telling me who to vote for. It may not annoy some, but I like to think for myself when it comes to voting. Their sole focus was firearms..... I mean I get that..... but some these candidates were anti death penalty. Pro abortion. Lots of things I didn’t agree with about the candidate. I just found the thought it interesting that some folks don’t do much research on their own and probably voted as instructed. Like I said. I know I am gonna be brutalized for this post, so let er rip tater chip!
I agree 100%! So there tater chips!

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

CutBait Jr's Dad
Supporter
Reaction score
Potential silver lining:
If NRA is dissolved, does that mean I can finally join Tri City Gun Club?
Can't have a prerequisite to be an NRA member if there is no NRA...
Full disclosure:
That's not the only reason I'm not a TCGC member.
50+% is because every time I've ever been *not* as @Mad Professor 's guest, I've been yelled at over something trivial.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you

druryj

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
Potential silver lining:
If NRA is dissolved, does that mean I can finally join Tri City Gun Club?
Can't have a prerequisite to be an NRA member if there is no NRA...
Full disclosure:
That's not the only reason I'm not a TCGC member.
50+% is because every time I've ever been *not* as @Mad Professor 's guest, I've been yelled at over something trivial.

You? Surely not...was it that Range Safety Nazi guy who likes to tell his bevy of personal anecdotes to impress upon one the need to be safe?

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Supporter
Reaction score
I used to belong to the NRA. Their recommendation of candidates was just promoting the most gun and 2nd amd friendly politicians which I did not have a problem with. What I did have a problem with was them folding like a cheap lawn chair every time some new gun bill came up. I still hope they move to Texas and somehow get rid of that Pierre dude.

But, regardless of the NRA we have got to have organized special interest groups to represent our rights on K street. I don't like lobbyists anymore than the next guy but sadly this is just the way Washington works and it takes money and maybe sometimes a little palm grease or campaign funding if you would rather call it that. I am a realist.

I joined Gun Owners of America now instead. It is gaining membership and hopefully might be a great replacement in this world of corruption. We have simply GOT to have somebody to represent or rights and continually monitoring and fighting these goons in DC. These gun control people never sleep. So maybe this works out and it can't hurt to have more than one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom