NYT's: Poisoned Wildlife and Tainted Meat: Why Hunters Are Moving Away From Lead Bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is this another example of the "Nose of the camel under the tent", "Incrementalism", a trial balloon, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, etc., etc., etc. When it's the NYT's writing such articles, one can only wonder what their true motives/agendas are.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...-from-lead-bullets/ar-BBQ33mf?ocid=spartanntp
Poisoned Wildlife and Tainted Meat: Why Hunters Are Moving Away From Lead Bullets
By IAN URBINA and MAX WHITTAKER

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is this another example of the "Nose of the camel under the tent", "Incrementalism", a trial balloon, throwing things at the wall to see what sticks, etc., etc., etc. When it's the NYT's writing such articles, one can only wonder what their true motives/agendas are.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...-from-lead-bullets/ar-BBQ33mf?ocid=spartanntp
Poisoned Wildlife and Tainted Meat: Why Hunters Are Moving Away From Lead Bullets
By IAN URBINA and MAX WHITTAKER

No Constitutional right to ammunition, I'm surprised the EPA hasn't already outlawed lead ammo as toxic

Both of ya are true and correct..

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One would think swallowing a piece of lead wouldn't do much other than come out the other end. Not enough info to be able to actually see if swallowing a piece of lead would actually add lead to the blood stream. I have been chewing on lead solder my entire life, electronics and holding it in my mouth. Pretty sure my lead level is about the same as anyone that has made it to 74 but who really knows. Would be interesting to see an actual study not biased by PETA or some other tree hugging group.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One would think swallowing a piece of lead wouldn't do much other than come out the other end. Not enough info to be able to actually see if swallowing a piece of lead would actually add lead to the blood stream.
Not in this article, but you're right.

The argument falls down when the lead is allowed to become part of the environment and form lead oxides and lead salts, which are soluble and readily enter the bloodstream. It's worst in water--which is why lead shot was banned for waterfowling ages ago--but happens on land as well, though to a much lesser degree.

Do I think it's bad enough to ban hunting with lead bullets? Absolutely not. The rainwater runoff from shooting ranges is probably more contaminated. What do I hunt with? Well, it depends upon what I'm hunting. I do use Barnes TSX in solid copper for hogs (.45-70), and when I get dies for other calibers, I'll probably switch. Those things are wicked effective, and hold together well. Being lead-free is a nice bonus, and even at $1/per, that's still a minuscule cost if you don't spray-and-pray at your dinner.

I don't use them for range ammo, obviously. Cheap lead is just fine there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom