ObamaCare's Health-Insurance Sticker Shock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Single payer, government run healthcare. Exactly what they wanted in the first place.

this...and just wait, when all those that voted for him/this start getting their "free" services cut (all in the name of cost containment), they will be screaming the loudest. if it didn't suck so bad, it would almost be laughable.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What makes me upset is the fact that a lot of the people that voted for the sorry a$$ don't even realize what is happening..Before I get slammed by a bunch of the sorry a$$ supporters I'm referring to my neighbors. I've talked to 2 different neighbors the past week and they both have no idea what the hell I'm talking about...Typical sorry a$$ supporters..

His supporters won't realize what happened until they are hit HARD in the pocketbook. They are going to continue to regurgitate Obama's talking points while being clueless of reality. This will do it. And it is doing it, especially for those folks who are having their hours cut, those losing their benefits or all the above. These folks who lose their health benefits will be fined. Or they will have to pay substantially more in premiums. Some will not be able to afford either... It is sick that the democrats are killing the American dream and our society.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This system certainly isn't looking that good but, like him or hate him, at least he tried. The system is broken, and has been for a long time. The Republican party do anything to fix it in their previous how many years of control? Well they did push a law through that ultimately gave more power to the insurance companies to deny claims but that was a step backwards. In the debates previous to Obama's first election the topic of healthcare was brought up every time. At one point Mr. McCain said that, yes, the healthcare system was in serious need of overhaul but he believed the Republican party could very easily fix it if elected. To which the Democratic response was basically 'you had eight years to fix it, yet you did nothing. Why should we believe you now?'. He had no real comeback and that was that.

Whoever is president next, and I have no doubt they will be a republican, HAS to do something to fix the system. It's not just the poor who need a better system it's everyone. Look at the statistics and the actual cases...it's not just low and medium income families being crushed by medical costs it's upper class families too. Families who make over $500k a year go into foreclosure and end up defaulting on everything because a family member was diagnosed with cancer or other serious illness or injury that requires lengthy hospital stays and expensive medications. There's a saying that basically reads as "every American, with the exception of the 'super wealthy' (those with assets of $100 million or more) are exactly ONE major medical issue away from total financial devastation".

Conservative republicans that make $100k per year or more like to exclude themselves from the category of "low income" families that are often mentioned by politicians but they ARE included by the political definition so although you consider yourself above the rest you're still part of the lower class your favorite politician talks about.

I'm not arguing for Obama's program, I don't see any changes, I don't see anything different to be honest but...that doesn't mean our system doesn't need an overhaul. A few years ago while trying to find insurance for the kids because we had no company insurance at the time we called every company out there. They all quoted premiums of over $600 per month and that was for ONE child because every single company refused to cover the 14 year old girl because of a pre-existing condition. Whoever becomes president next, regardless of affiliation, has to fix the problem instead of sticking their head in the sand and repeating "nope, there is no problem.". I'll be shocked if the democrats win the next election so it will be the GOP's chance to actually do what they say they can do instead of their last dismal performance.

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Socializing 1/3 of the us economy and calling it healthcare reform was a flat out deception. This is nothing but a power grab disguised as healthcare reform. It is doing nothing but costing more, and providing less.

It has nothing to do with improving healthcare!

Last edited:

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This system certainly isn't looking that good but, like him or hate him, at least he tried.

Diane Feinstein is trying too. Doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing at all. There is absolutely nothing wrong with our healthcare system. The problem is with the payment system (insurance) and people's expectations. Until those expectations change nothing will be fixed. We should be insuring our bodies like we insure our vehicles. We don't expect our auto insurance to cover oil changes or new tires, why do we expect insurance to pay for every single doctor visit? There is absolutely no incentive under the current insurance system to shop around, and there is no incentive for doctors to advertise their prices or to compete price wise with other doctors. And until that changes, nothing the government does will help, it can only hurt. And republicans are unlikely to fix it because any time they do try to tackle an impending implosion they are demonized by democrats and their cohorts in the media. Just look at what happens any time they propose fixing social security or medicare or when they tried to avert the housing bubble (not to mention the fact that the republican leadership is just democrat light).

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To fully understand this mess, you have to understand some history here. You have to understand the difference between health insurance and health financing. Health insurance started during the depression. FDR had put in wage controls and business was not allowed to pay higher salaries to attract top people. So, they started looking for perks that might substitute for that inability to pay people what they were worth. Health insurance existed somewhat before that, but very few had it. Suddenly, a really good job would come with some kind of health insurance.

Insurance. The only way that health (or life or car) insurance works is by lumping a big collection of people into a group of their peers. To keep premiums low, that group must be healthy (and young and not auto accident prone). Then, when people are unexpectedly sick (or croak young or crash their car), the big group of their peers pay out a few pennies each and everyone is happy.

Financing. When you step into the sphere of government health insurance, there is no insurance. This is healthcare financing. There is no way for the government to exclude people or be selective. Today, our poorest citizens also tend to be old, very overweight and live unhealthy lives. So, with this group, it's not rare to need a payout--it's constant and pervasive.

The cost of healthcare financing for America was reasonable and relatively small until the late 60's. When Medicaid and Medicare came in, government health spending started pushing costs up. Government's adverse impact on private health insurance was one of those unintended consequences. A hospital would find itself required to provide a long list of services for the poor, but were only reimbursed for a fraction of that. Prices raised then for everyone, to make up the difference. Since then, government's intrusion into our healthcare system has been, not linear, but logrithmic. If you look at the nation's overall increase in spending on healthcare, it matches the increase in the government's role.

The bad thing is that there's no way to fix this. (And, I'm paid to find ways to do so.) For forty years now, Americans have been told that healthcare should be free and limitless. Everyone is now convinced. The only way to right this ship is to spend another 40 years convincing people that they need to pay their own way. And, no one is even hinting at that message. But, that's the only thing that will start to bring prices down. When Uncle Sam starts throwing taxpayers' money around, prices go up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom