OC in Crest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I have a different slant on this. I don't care for the ones that make a spectacle out of it (I'm looking at you Tim Harper) but if you want to OC I don't have a problem with it. You have the right to carry so exercise that right how you see fit. If people see others going about their everyday business carrying maybe they'll see guns aren't really the big problem they're being made out to be.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I have a different slant on this. I don't care for the ones that make a spectacle out of it (I'm looking at you Tim Harper) but if you want to OC I don't have a problem with it. You have the right to carry so exercise that right how you see fit. If people see others going about their everyday business carrying maybe they'll see guns aren't really the big problem they're being made out to be.
This. :thumb:

Some of y'all would complain if ya was bein' hung with a brand new rope...
:drunk2:

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some of y'all would complain if ya was bein' hung with a brand new rope...

To be perfectly honest? I have never complained about being hung but I would complain if I was being hanged with an old rope too.

As usual, BigRed1 is spot on. But people open carrying respectfully and and folks like us in the “gun culture” acknowledging their right to do such is not really the point. The point is that they are open carrying a weapon.

The grocery store example ... Carrying in a grocery store where you have people walking behind you, turning corners with you is not a great time/place to play show n' tell. The reason is one is vulnerable to getting a cheap shot with a large can of beans, sprayed in the face with a can or RAID Wasp Spray to being cut open with 7” carving knife they pulled off the shelf (gasp ... without paying for it!).

What if someone sees you with a gun before you see them with a gun? The answer is that you lost any tactical advantage.

How many people who open carry have had any sort of weapon retention training beyond watching all five seasons of “Justified”? Probably zero which puts a big _____ (fill in the blank) bullseye right above their buttocks.

I most certainly agree the more we see people respectfully carrying in the open the more accustomed to respectfully carrying we will become. But it is still a monumentally bad idea to be a target.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have open carried a few times on range days. But other than that, I don't.
I am, however, a huge supporter of it for one reason. The debate got the whole "printing" thing removed from the books.
By open carry, I mean tucked in, but I probably have some leather showing alot of times (my shirts keep getting shorter for some reason).
I had a discussion with a lurker a few months back while at lunch that really stuck with me.
He pointed out a guy in the restaurant with an XD hat, Springfield polo tucked into a brown gun belt and an XD in a brown leather holster. It was almost a professional look, in the fact that he could have been in any white collar position (except for his brown leather sandals).
"Now, that guy, he went out of his way to become the first target if SHTF in this restaurant, but you'd probably be second in line", sir lurker said to me.
There is a certain level of peacocking with gun guys around here, that you don't need to see their holster to know they're armed.
At that particular lunch, I was wearing a Big Boys GSSF shirt and my D.E.M. Glock triggers hat.
I had two separate firearms related pieces of clothing on, and I realized that I usually do. I looked like I was "probably" carrying.
And that doesn't take into account the usual vehicle they got out of. Some are covered in gun stickers.
I have a Wilson combat license plate, which, being just the logo, might not be noticed as a gun tag. It's just a W and a C with wings. Plus a flat black Deplorable decal on my limo tint, which isn't noticable from more than 5 feet away.
And how many of y'all "long time" members still wear a vest way too often?
I'm not speaking negatively, I'm working on getting a vest, I'm just saying that with an open eye, you don't have to see an open carry to see that they are openly carrying.
Does open carry = openly carrying in y'all's eyes?

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
To be perfectly honest? I have never complained about being hung but I would complain if I was being hanged with an old rope too.

As usual, BigRed1 is spot on. But people open carrying respectfully and and folks like us in the “gun culture” acknowledging their right to do such is not really the point. The point is that they are open carrying a weapon.

The grocery store example ... Carrying in a grocery store where you have people walking behind you, turning corners with you is not a great time/place to play show n' tell. The reason is one is vulnerable to getting a cheap shot with a large can of beans, sprayed in the face with a can or RAID Wasp Spray to being cut open with 7” carving knife they pulled off the shelf (gasp ... without paying for it!).

What if someone sees you with a gun before you see them with a gun? The answer is that you lost any tactical advantage.

How many people who open carry have had any sort of weapon retention training beyond watching all five seasons of “Justified”? Probably zero which puts a big _____ (fill in the blank) bullseye right above their buttocks.

I most certainly agree the more we see people respectfully carrying in the open the more accustomed to respectfully carrying we will become. But it is still a monumentally bad idea to be a target.

All this^^^^^^

I’m all about people open carrying for two reasons:

it normalizes firearm ownership and use

that guy is gonna get shot before I will.

Im all about people doing what they want, butwjile convenient and easy, OC will always have the tactical disadvantage.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not speaking negatively, I'm working on getting a vest, I'm just saying that with an open eye, you don't have to see an open carry to see that they are openly carrying.

I got my first vest a few weeks ago. It's from 5-11 and doesn't say 5-11 anywhere that can be seen. It's light weight and looks like a normal piece of clothing. I can put my Rem RM380, SW 637 or SIG P225 in the chest pocket. Side pockets open so if you are wearing a belt holster, you can reach through your pocket to access your weapon.

Great point on wearing firearm related clothing. Like putting a firearm related bumper sticker on your car ... if a car is going to be broken into, it will be that one.

To me, "open carry" is carrying a weapon in the open where people can see it and it is not concealed.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Observing the popular distinction between 'hanged' and 'hung' will not make you a better writer, but it will spare you the annoyance of being corrected for having done something that is not wrong."
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/hung-or-hanged

Maybe there should be a test for grammar police... :D
:drunk2:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

It is also a great way for thugs to go shopping for guns. As mentioned above, Raid to the face or a free knife can be deadly then you also add to the illegal gun collections in the city.

Latest posts

Top Bottom