Officer Betty Shelby trial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've followed the articles and reports of the progress of this trial in its first week. I'm uncertain as to how to interpret what has happened so far. On the one hand, the prosecution case took about two days to present and the defense got started today. That seems a very short prosecution to me, given the charge. OTOH, the prosecution presented some pretty heavy information concerning statements made in the immediate aftermath, especially some by Ofcr. Shelby that seemed against her interest and before having counsel.

The initial DNA information by the defense was inconclusive about whether the decedent reached inside the vehicle. There was also some weak sauce concerning a screwdriver in the passenger compartment. Of course, there's still more to come for the defense.

How are others evaluating the progress of the case? Are you seeing a potential result beginning to form or is it too early to tell? Looking forward to your input and thoughts...

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I, very initially, thought she screwed up at first. Then, as the hours and days past I thought she'd be put on trial and found not guilty. Nowadays, after the first week, I'm not so sure she's not going to go away for awhile.
I'm not sure where to stand. I've never been a police office, but have had very close family member that was in my nuclear household. I've helped train rookies and academy attendees. I've followed the laws and the lingo. I sell to some nowadays. I know that had I been her and given the circumstances I would have had much trepidation. However, dang her backup Was RIGHT THERE. They had just rolled up on scene. I honestly think she didn't mean to fire.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I have seen I think she's in some serious trouble. I don't believe the in-house review from TPD officers went in her favor. That being said it's a tough and often thankless job and making those split second decisions are exceedingly difficult. The highly charged political climate isn't in her favor either. I am betting she is convicted of something along the lines of manslaughter but this is just a guess.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I have seen I think she's in some serious trouble. I don't believe the in-house review from TPD officers went in her favor. That being said it's a tough and often thankless job and making those split second decisions are exceedingly difficult. The highly charged political climate isn't in her favor either. I am betting she is convicted of something along the lines of manslaughter but this is just a guess.

It's just impossible these days. The job, I mean. Completely and totally impossible.

Annie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with tR. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I feel bad for families with members who are boots-on-the-ground LEO. No good deed goes unpunished. Brass and admin and politicians not so much. They helped create this problem. And not so much the "it's a thug life's" crowd. Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's just impossible these days. The job, I mean. Completely and totally impossible.

I agree 100% I wouldn't be a LEO these days if every playboy bunny turned into a badge bunny overnight. The job is impossible today and I wouldn't blame them for selective enforcment. I mean....... we have put them in a box making them second guess every action and that can lead to death. Welcome to the United Snowflakes of America .

Latest posts

Top Bottom