Officer Betty Shelby trial

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A significant twist today that many didn't see coming: Ofcr. Shelby took the stand in her own defense. Reports coming out about her testimony include experience, training, previous times having to aim a gun at a person, etc. As of the last report, prosecution had not begun cross-examination yet.

Another officer testified about having to Taze Crutcher twice previously in another incident with the Taser having minimal effect due to drugs. I'm really surprised the judge let that testimony stand, based on several pre-trial rulings.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some criticism of law enforcement is necessary, but i think we should operate with the knowledge that police officers are just human beings. We have to be careful what we expect out of them, and try to put ourselves in their shoes.

For a law enforcement officer, death is a split second away at all times.

Hopefully Officer Shelby gets a fair trial and the benefit of the doubt.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I hope she is found not guilty and I hope the low life POS is in constant agony in the depths of hell. Police Officers wade thru a cesspool of human excrement on a daily basis and are judged after the fact by those who lack the courage to spend an hour walking in their shoes. The city of Tulsa is getting worse every day and with a DA like this one, it's only going to get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let me say that even though they shouldn't, politically-motivated prosecutions do happen. I think that George Zimmerman was one such. Mike Nifong's prosecution of the Duke lacrosse team was another. Now, having said that, there are cases of genuine bad conduct among police, and when they do wrong, they should be prosecuted like anyone else.

Which is Shelby's case? I don't know yet. Was she a sacrifice to political expediency, or did she over-react and shoot without just cause? The videos that I have seen show nothing one way or the other. I see reasonable doubt here.

That said, I admit to my own bias, as I come from a police family but I hope she is acquitted.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Which is Shelby's case? I don't know yet. Was she a sacrifice to political expediency, or did she over-react and shoot without just cause? The videos that I have seen show nothing one way or the other. I see reasonable doubt here.

That said, I admit to my own bias, as I come from a police family but I hope she is acquitted.

To the sentence in bold: I choose political expediency as the answer because it's the primary reason the choice was made to move to charge before an experienced homicide detective could present the results of a complete investigation. Today's testimony by Ofcr. Shelby related her training on suspects reaching into vehicles where they could produce a weapon with the rule of "you hesitate, you die." Add in the circumstances of a person ignoring commands from an officer pointing a gun at you and the officer's mind has to go to that basic life-preserving training.

If the verdict goes the way you hope, I believe the DA and other powers that be will find out the cost of kicking the can down the road when they short-circuited standard process to avoid a confrontation at that time.

Defcon Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
She will never be convicted of manslaughter based on the circumstances and the witness testimony. There is no proof she acted with a malice or corruption or gross negligence beyond a reasonable doubt. She may not be found not guilty but you will never get a jury to agree unanimously that she acted recklessly in firing on the subject that was killed. The entire process was political in nature done to appease the BLM types. No person should be charged with a criminal act before the investigation has even completed. The rush to placate the trouble makers will ultimately cause more harm than letting the process work in the first place would have caused. Serves the former Mayor right and will be fun to watch Tulsa's current SJW Mayor address the acquittal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom