Officers warn gun owners after firearm thefts in cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
https://ktul.com/news/local/officers-warn-gun-owners-after-firearm-thefts-in-cars
[begin quote]
Oklahoma City, Okla. (KOKH) — Oklahoma law enforcement wants folks to be more careful about leaving guns in cars.

The Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office said there is an uptick in legal guns being stolen from cars from crimes.

“You are kind of playing a game of Russian Roulette,” Oklahoma City Sheriff’s Office PIO Aaron Brilbeck said. “You are leaving your gun in your car hoping someone doesn’t break into it.”

Many of the stolen weapons were left in plain sight or in unlocked cars.

“It is horribly irresponsible and it could cost people lives,” said Brilbeck.

Joshua Harris-Till is part of a safe gun activist group called Moms Demand Action. They hope more responsible gun owners will safely secure their weapons too.

“We are not trying to take away anybody’s guns,” Harris-Till said. “We want people to understand the necessity of storing them properly and keep them out of the hands of bad actors.”

People who need a place to store guns can reach out to law enforcement for a safe box.

“It shouldn’t just be on the person who got the guns but it is on you,” Harris-Till said. “If you can’t do that, we believe you are not the one who should have guns in this state.”

If your gun was stolen, report the serial number as soon as possible.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OCPD posted to nextdoor.com, It did not say "safe box," it said "free gun safety lock." Not that I advocate locking up your firearms 24/7, I am surprised at the number of gun owners that leave firearms in their car or truck all night not in a car vault or locked compartment, but where it may be easily stolen. One should expect that they could leave their entire gun collection or other expensive possessions in their car unlocked at all times without worry of theft, however we live in a world that is far less than perfect.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does a "guy" get a hyphenated last name?

Serious question.
You can apply for one after you get a nut or two cut off!!

Serious answer: Anyone can legally change their name. Probably some woke BS where a couple want to be more inclusive with each other.

I had wondered what folks here that carry do when an establishment says no guns allowed. Just carry anyways? OR, go back to your vehicle and leave your weapon? One of the reasons I don't carry more is having to decide if I want to enter a place or risk leaving my pistol should this arise.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How does a "guy" get a hyphenated last name?

Serious question.
"PSU sociology professor Emily Fitzgibbons Shafer analyzed data collected from a nationally representative survey that asked men if they did anything to their surnames in their most recent marriage.

Of the 877 men, only 27, or 3 percent, changed their name. Of those, 25 dropped their last name to take their wife's and two hyphenated their last name. Among the 97 percent who kept their name, 87 percent said their wife took their last name, 4 percent said their wife hyphenated her surname while they made no change, and 6 percent said that neither changed their name."

Marriage name game
___

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
"PSU sociology professor Emily Fitzgibbons Shafer analyzed data collected from a nationally representative survey that asked men if they did anything to their surnames in their most recent marriage.

Of the 877 men, only 27, or 3 percent, changed their name. Of those, 25 dropped their last name to take their wife's and two hyphenated their last name. Among the 97 percent who kept their name, 87 percent said their wife took their last name, 4 percent said their wife hyphenated her surname while they made no change, and 6 percent said that neither changed their name."

Marriage name game
___
Yeah I read that too. It doesn't explain why you see this more and more these days. I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom