Official 2017 AR build session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll try to make this one but I'll have to put in for a day off. It's the one weekend I work Sunday instead of Saturday. I want to learn how to build the upper--I learned how to build the lower last January.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is an open invitation thing, I would really like to come. I am building my first AR right now, and have all of the parts except for the BCG and charging handle (still shopping around for the best deal). I guess I can wait until then to assemble everything (I think I can wait that long). I don't have any building or gunsmithing tools yet, so this would be a great opportunity for me to see what I need to buy. I know this won't be my only AR build, so I will need tools that will last a long time. Some advice / recommendations from seasoned builders like you guys would really help a lot.

AND January 22nd is the day before my 41st birthday! So I will treat myself to a bunch of new gunsmithing tools as a birthday present to myself hahaha

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Open to anyone with a good attitude! !

Bring your tools, parts, rifles, instructions, etc etc........................it's all good except alcohol. My boss wouldn't like that. :(

Yes I believe we had 17 participants last year and it went well into the late afternoon.

Come on and join us, even if it's to just drink a cup of coffee and drool over some of the custom parts. Who was it that had that wicked lower with custom color last year? SWEEET! ! !

Knight92

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to try and make this one, I might not be very active here, but I have everything I need right now to assemble my ar15, so between now and then I just have to cerakote my lower and some of my lower parts!

Thanks for doing this guys!

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Should have time to get that done between now and then. If you need someone, Bruce Coon in Verdigris does a good job and has very reasonable pricing. Let me know if you want his contact info, I can't remember his username on here, offhand. Maybe someone else knows it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a suggestion. If your going to run a scope on your AR, look at the :
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm-gfh-mod-4-556.htm

Get the one with the largest extension. You can thank me later.

DENNISHODDY — yes, I will be running a 2 - 6x variable scope on my AR. Thank you for the recommendation. I will go with the BMC Gunfighter. It was on my list of CH's I was researching anyway. I know they are popular. Just wasn't sure why.

I do need some help with a BCG. I know that most people just go with a PSA mil spec phosphate BCG, but I am kind of a visual guy, and I like the shiny BCG's. Call me crazy. I do like the black nitride and NiM BCG's, even if they may chip over time. I don't care. I have my eye on the Odin Works Nitride BCG on Primary Arms' website here: http://www.primaryarms.com/odin-works-223-black-nitride-bolt-carrier-group-acc-223-bcg

and also I like the WMD NiM BCG here: https://www.deltateamtactical.com/W...-M16-Bolt-Carrier-Group-Complete-_p_4669.html

HOWEVER, both of them are made out of 8620 steel, and from what I have been reading, 158 steel is mil-spec, and 9310 steel is like 8% stronger than 158 mil-spec. Everyone is dogging 8620 steel bolt carrier groups, but does it REALLY make that much of a difference?? Has anyone had an 8620 BCG that failed or cracked from heavy use?

Does anyone on here have or use a BCG that is 8620 steel?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would go with simple nitrided over all. I think there's no major benefit of any other finish over nitride these days, and the color of the nickel-boron one I bought began to darken immediately, so, while it is pretty easy to clean, it isn't as purdy as it was initially. Chrome may maintain its color better, I don't know.

I've never seen or heard of anyone having a bolt failure or malfunction with any of the modern 8620/9310 stuff. Nitrided ones at FBT are like $85.

Latest posts

Top Bottom