Official 2017 AR build session

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question: if you've built half a dozen AR's from scratch, would this workshop still be beneficial? Or is it geared more toward novices - and expert operators who want to sit around, drink beer, and tell everyone it has to be done HIS way or it's WRONG? ;)

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if you built a ton you would likely pick up a new trick or two. Plus you will get a chance to try other tools that you may not want to purchase. Plus you get a chance to help others.

As far as the beer there wasn't any last time and I doubt there will be this time though I was on some pretty hefty painkillers being a few days post op with my shoulder.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No beer at Deano's shop. If we wanna get together at my place at a later date, beer is acceptable, but whiskey (and especially whisky) is highly recommended! lol

Anyone who's built ARs is welcome to come visit, shoot the sh|t, share tips and tricks, play with and handle parts and tools and generally just hang out. It's like an Eat & Shoot... without the eating or the shooting. :P

Last time there was no bickering and everyone seemed open to ideas on how to do things. No old farts who told everyone how wrong they were doing it... it was pretty laid-back and everyone seemed to have a good time. I'd highly recommend people bring their tools, so we can all play with the different brands and such. Just make sure you keep track of them. I think I got all of mine back last time, and didn't end up with any extras that I know of.

Just bring your own chair. :D

<edit> And especially anyone who hasn't built ARs is welcome! This is all about learning and hanging out with other gun guys, getting people from the forum together. If you have never owned an AR but wondered what the hype was about, if you have owned one buy don't know about all the little parts, or if you think ARs are stupid and want to come berate us all for not owning Kalishnikovs, bring your happy ass on down! ;)

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like the lower build kit is ready to ship out so probably be here by Wednesday or Thursday. Also picked up some roll pin holders/starters and punches since they were pretty cheap. Still have my Brownells Torque tool if someone needs it. Found out not long ago with it an upper can be put together without a vise. Carpeted floor with the torque tool/torque wrench and a breaker bar on the barrel nut tool and it's easy to put together.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I have 3 more packages arriving this week - should we start a roll call?

I can bring my workbench and a couple plastic 6-foot folding tables, but I only have the one vice this time. I tossed the other one, it was old, heavy, crappy and in my way. lol

I did get a 1/2" torque wrench to use this time.

What do we need to try to get together?

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I have 3 more packages arriving this week - should we start a roll call?

I can bring my workbench and a couple plastic 6-foot folding tables, but I only have the one vice this time. I tossed the other one, it was old, heavy, crappy and in my way. lol

I did get a 1/2" torque wrench to use this time.

What do we need to try to get together?

What time are we meeting? This Sunday the 22nd, correct?

I have and can bring the following:
a parrot vise that's been riding around in the back of my car and a small, cheap clamp on vise
Torque wrench, reaction rod, assortment of punches and pin starters, armorer's tool, etc
a few "extra" parts like springs & FCG
Several lower and upper receivers

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a small portable vise, couple chairs so will have a spare, Brownells style reaction rod, armourer's wrench, torque wrench, breaker bar, multiple punches, roll pin punches, roll pin starters, bits for attaching items to rails and grips lower block, dremel and some polishing wheels among other bits if anyone wants to polish a trigger before install, tap if anyone wants to thread the grip screw hole all the way through on one that is not that way from the factory for the 50 cent trigger job, rat tail file and a few other things I can't remember right off the top of my head at this point.

If anyone wants to see the jig and stuff to cut 5.56 down to 300 blk I can bring that and my press with some brass if anyone is interested in doing it at some point but you need to let me know so I can pack it all up and bring it.

And just tossing it out there but if anyone has some 357SIG brass they got a couple of and don't want/plan to toss bring it along and if you have a need for 9mm, 40 or 5.56 we can work a little trade if interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom