Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm certainly more concerned of my chances for getting cancer, as it runs in my family. Dad has stage 4 bone cancer but hes also go dementia or alzhymers. so the cancer is not being treated and something is going to take him soon. Mom just got done with a very successfull treatment for a lung cancer and brother had a successful treatment 10 years ago for lymphoma. My odds are not good

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think America will shut down like we did in March and April again, ever imo. Restrict international travel and flights, yes, restrict travel from state to state, yes, but a nationwide lock down like before, never. They may try at some point, but I don't think the people will fall for it the next time.

I certainly hope you are right. Being an essential employee damn near killed me (and not because I caught COVID -- the only problem I had with that was a few days being drag-ass and no sense of taste or smell).

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HI BB! I was wondering where you went!

You just went incognito!

Yeah, it had been a while since I'd logged on (studying taxes will do that to ya!) and I forgot my password. The whole reset your password thingee was frustrating me so I just took the route that was the quickest ... haha!

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Texas numbers looking bad:
Texas has broken its record for the number of people hospitalized with the virus for 11 consecutive days. On Monday, that number was 3,711. Saturday saw the highest number of new daily reported cases yet — 4,430. The positivity rate, presented by the state as a seven-day average, has increased to 8.8%, on par with where it was in late April.

Case numbers and hospitalizations have been climbing for nearly a month in Texas, but Abbott has been measured in his response, noting that the state has plenty of hospital beds and blaming at least part of the increase in cases on efforts to step up testing in hot spots like prisons and nursing homes. In recent days, however, local and state health officials have also taken a more urgent tone about the rising numbers. Austin Mayor Steve Adler said over the weekend that officials will soon have to "choose between returning to sheltering at home or watching as our hospitals get overwhelmed and we suffer many preventable deaths."

Meanwhile, Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, predicted that Houston is on the brink of a disaster, based on the latest trends in increasing numbers.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06/22/texas-coronavirus-greg-abbott-press-conference/

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to counter the fear factory going on here....

My wife sat down with the head of infectious diseases @ St Johns over the weekend. He said that what they are seeing is a significant difference in symptom onset. Namely, a higher number of gastrointestinal issues, and less severe respiratory complications. They had previously not seen anywhere near the number of gastrointestinal issues previously. He also feels that the virus is more contagious, but didn't qualify that. In which he said it's too soon to say whether they cocktail of treatments (plasma transfer and Remdesivir) are the reason for the lower incidents of respiratory failures, or if they are catching this sooner, or if the virus has mutated. However, that's what they have seen here locally. Take it for what it's worth. But it is interesting that you're seeing a mortality rate remain very low.

Of course, there is this....

https://www.jpost.com/health-scienc...is-much-more-transmittable-study-shows-631373

There was also some doctors in Italy that are saying something similar, and The WHO jumped their sheyt. I sure as hell don't trust the WHO.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So to counter the fear factory going on here....

My wife sat down with the head of infectious diseases @ St Johns over the weekend. He said that what they are seeing is a significant difference in symptom onset. Namely, a higher number of gastrointestinal issues, and less severe respiratory complications. They had previously not seen anywhere near the number of gastrointestinal issues previously. He also feels that the virus is more contagious, but didn't qualify that. In which he said it's too soon to say whether they cocktail of treatments (plasma transfer and Remdesivir) are the reason for the lower incidents of respiratory failures, or if they are catching this sooner, or if the virus has mutated. However, that's what they have seen here locally. Take it for what it's worth. But it is interesting that you're seeing a mortality rate remain very low.

Of course, there is this....

https://www.jpost.com/health-scienc...is-much-more-transmittable-study-shows-631373

There was also some doctors in Italy that are saying something similar, and The WHO jumped their sheyt. I sure as hell don't trust the WHO.

I had one day of minor diahrea but that was about it. Mostly chills and tight chest. But if people think this is going to turn into gastrointestinal issues the toilet paper shortage will be epic.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best wishes for you and your family 1911. Glad that effects have been minor albeit unpleasant.

To all: Many are not taking recommended protective steps for a couple of reasons: People are tired of taking precautions and see others not taking precautions. They read that the effects are minor for the great majority of people.
I will continue to argue that it is worth taking the precautions - We do not know the long term effects of the disease. The virus is mutating and there is no guarantee that having had COVID will protect you from new forms of the virus. Viral diseases are complex - consider chicken pox - it remains in the body and can come back as shingles. This is a novel coronavirus...we do no know everything about it. Many of us believe it is an escaped virus from the Wuhan Institute of Virology where they were doing "enhancement of function" studies. Ask yourself this: Why have countries around the world locked down? Are they dumb to have done so or do they know something that the authorities are afraid to tell us?
Taking precautions is reasonable. Fear not but do practice hand washing, social distancing and mask wearing as practical and appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom