Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How long from unmasked crowds until we see a spike? This report from Austin may give us a yardstick.

Median time from exposure to symptoms (if you get them) is 5-6 days. Median time from symptoms to hospitalization is 7 days. Point is, hospitalizations should start to increase ~12 days from a super spreader event. Well, that is exactly when cases started to spike here in Austin. I graphed the “Texas reopening” orders against the Austin MSA hospitalization graph. No effect, until exactly 12 days after the first big demonstration. Here you go.
austinhosp-1.png

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/382959/

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not trying to be an alarmist but there is a lot we have to learn about this virus and the long term effects on those who become infected. Some of what has started to become evident is not encouraging.

“We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs. We didn’t appreciate that in the beginning,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, California.

In addition to respiratory distress, patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion".

Full story:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifesty...d-the-many-health-problems-caused-by-covid-19

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't know that masks are significant factor relative to social distancing.
From the studies of past super-spreader events, to the best of my recollection most people were not wearing masks...I could be wrong. For sure, no one was wearing masks in the super- spreader choir practice event in the US..

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the studies of past super-spreader events, to the best of my recollection most people were not wearing masks...I could be wrong. For sure, no one was wearing masks in the super- spreader choir practice event in the US..

AND they were jam packed together? In which a lot of masks I am seeing on people are complete garbage. Surgical masks are about the highest level typically. In which if I'm shoulder to shoulder to 100s if not 1000s of people in a confined space, I highly doubt it's effectiveness.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This mask thing is still quite interesting. Everyone has an opinion, and even the medical folks have differing thoughts.

But it is interesting following our (OSA) comments. We are committed to the concept of carrying, even with the thought of at times carrying a little NAA 22, because anything is better than not carrying. But we have no use for masks and point out that some masks are less effective than other types.

The probability of needing our firearm is far less than the probability of us being exposed to the virus, or on a more significant concern of us unknowingly exposing someone else because we don’t know that we are carrying the virus.

So, just like carrying open or concealed, it is our choice of wearing a mask or not.

Just put as much thought into that decision as you do in which firearm you choose to carry.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really don't see how masks can hurt. I understand that there are no guarantees, but it seems like it would have to reduce the number of potential virus germs getting into your nose and mouth, and as you pointed out it's all about improving your odds. I CERTAINLY don't get the hostility toward mask-wearers, and I've seen plenty of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom