Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wish they'd keep their differing (AKA unfounded) thoughts to themselves until they can come up with facts.

Woody
Differing thoughts can be the result of learning more, and today information moves fast; making the facts sometimes confusing. It could be years to come up with all the facts associated with the virus. The current thought is to wear a mask (properly) in concentrated public places, keep your distance from others, and wash your hands. Sounds pretty easy to me, even if it only cuts down your chances of becoming infected by a small amount. If the precautions turn out to do absolutely nothing, then what was the harm. I do agree with others, however, some of the cloth masks I see people wearing are almost worthless but may keep the wearer from spreading the virus if they are sick. The N95 or KN95 masks are the most effective of the disposable masks. You can easily find KN95 masks now.

I guess my bottom line is that - if masks don't help then why do the doctors and medical staff wear them when treating patients with contagious diseases? I think I'll defer to their experience.

Edited: Spelling

Last edited:

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is your choice. I'm not suggesting masks be required by law, just arguing for their use.
There are different reasons for rejecting mask usage. Here are four possible reasons for not wanting to wear a mask. You may have an entirely different reason....not trying to put anyone down for their choice. The one I seem to be hearing in this thread is that masks are useless or near useless. I think this is the logic type argument but the psychology goes deeper.
Stigma may enter the equation for some because 1. they think wearing the mask indicates to others that they are sick, or because they think it might indicate fear or weakness.

Northwestern University professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences Jacqueline Gollan thinks that some individuals may underestimate the seriousness of the pandemic or not fully understand the element of prevention. But, she told NBC News, there’s another facet as well:
2. mask rejection may be an intentional act of rebellion, an attempt to feel some sense of power amid a complicated global situation.

“Sometimes it’s a matter of wanting to control one’s own behavior and, in wanting to feel like they’re in control, they will do something like this,” Gollan said.

As with everything, politics is in the mix, too. “To not see your leaders wearing masks in public or on photo ops suggests they’re excluded from the guidelines or they don’t see it as warranted,” Gollan noted.

3. Some have come to associate wearing a mask with a more liberal worldview, and going without as a sign of loyalty to Donald Trump. One recent study found evidence of a correlation between support for the president and a distaste for wearing masks, engaging in social distancing, or practicing other COVID-19 prevention techniques.

4. It could be that refusing to wear a mask comes from a place of denial (that there is a serious global pandemic). Having to adopt a strange, new practice could mean finally acknowledging the severity of the pandemic and what could be long-term changes to how we live, which can be a scary thing to reckon with.

“If everybody started wearing masks, suddenly, the old way of life is gone,” David Abrams, a psychologist and professor of social and behavioral science at New York University’s School of Global Public Health told CNN. “You’ve suddenly admitted that this is the new normal. But you don’t want to believe that.”
https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/wearing-a-mask-psychology/

Let me add-on a fifth reason:
5. Flirting or other situations requiring use of facial expressions ...especially big for 20 somethings

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This mask thing is still quite interesting. Everyone has an opinion, and even the medical folks have differing thoughts.

But it is interesting following our (OSA) comments. We are committed to the concept of carrying, even with the thought of at times carrying a little NAA 22, because anything is better than not carrying. But we have no use for masks and point out that some masks are less effective than other types.

The probability of needing our firearm is far less than the probability of us being exposed to the virus, or on a more significant concern of us unknowingly exposing someone else because we don’t know that we are carrying the virus.

So, just like carrying open or concealed, it is our choice of wearing a mask or not.

Just put as much thought into that decision as you do in which firearm you choose to carry.

Nobody here beats people over the head telling them they have to carry.

So just like you said, with carry we have many options, as we do with our personal health. We can use good masks, bad masks, gloves, sanitizer, social distancing, hand washing, etc. The interesting thing here on OSA and everywhere else is that people are preaching about masks, but nothing else. I'll give you an example. I just got back from the liquor store. There was a huge sign about how you need to wear a mask, NO EXCEPTIONS.... blah blah blah. Ok fine, they give me one. While I'm checking out, I sign the credit card slip and I have to use one of the pens they provide sticking out of a cup. NO sanitizer anywhere. How many people touched that pen in the last hour? Is someone wiping down the refrigerator door handles? But by god I've got my mask!! I will say that Costco continuously wiped down the gas pump handles and their carts for quite some time. Don't do it anymore though. But you'd better be wearing a mask inside that huge warehouse with isles you could drive a semi down.

Point is, that people here and everywhere just won't shut up about masks, as if the mask is the magic bullet. Unless y'all are running around with a N95,K95 or something of the like then STFU and start talking about washing your hands, sanitizer, and crowds. Then again, people always have the choice to stay at home.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my bottom line is that - if masks don't help then why do the doctors and medical staff wear them when treating patients with contagious diseases? I think I'll defer to their experience.

Edited: Spelling

Saying you're weighing your risks and saying masks don't work are two different things. I WILL say that doctors don't roll up to bedside in a cloth mask.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

So just like you said, with carry we have many options, as we do with our personal health. We can use good masks, bad masks, gloves, sanitizer, social distancing, hand washing, etc. The interesting thing here on OSA and everywhere else is that people are preaching about masks, but nothing else. I'll give you an example. I just got back from the liquor store. There was a huge sign about how you need to wear a mask, NO EXCEPTIONS.... blah blah blah. Ok fine, they give me one. While I'm checking out, I sign the credit card slip and I have to use one of the pens they provide sticking out of a cup. NO sanitizer anywhere. How many people touched that pen in the last hour? Is someone wiping down the refrigerator door handles? But by god I've got my mask!! I will say that Costco continuously wiped down the gas pump handles and their carts for quite some time. Don't do it anymore though. But you'd better be wearing a mask inside that huge warehouse with isles you could drive a semi down.

Point is, that people here and everywhere just won't shut up about masks, as if the mask is the magic bullet. Unless y'all are running around with a N95,K95 or something of the like then STFU and start talking about washing your hands, sanitizer, and crowds. Then again, people always have the choice to stay at home.

The point is, don't get triggered over decisions. We can easily get "offended" over things just like the snowflakes.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saying you're weighing your risks and saying masks don't work are two different things. I WILL say that doctors don't roll up to bedside in a cloth mask.
Yep. I'm saying that some say masks work, some say they don't work, and some say it's somewhere in between. I'm saying, the least risk is to error on the side of wearing a mask, any mask, properly. The only downside is a little inconvenience. As far as the mask, I would opt for the N95 or KN95, or better. I know RNs wearing N95 masks with a surgical mask over that. When dealing with COVID 19 patients, they are wearing positive air respirators.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Absolutely correct - it's a combination of mask, distancing, and hand washing. Use sanitizers or hand wipes when you can't wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom