Official OSA COVID-19/Corona Virus Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
20200826_130440.jpg

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet another flip?
Doctors follow "standards of practice" and these change over time as new research is done. My favorite change in standard of practice is that digital exams of the prostate are no longer done for everyone at your routine check-up.

With COVID they were almost totally in the dark when it first emerged so standards of practice have changed "too many times" from our perspective as non-medical professionals.
A change in standard of practice does not mean the medical profession cannot be trusted.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doctors follow "standards of practice" and these change over time as new research is done. My favorite change in standard of practice is that digital exams of the prostate are no longer done for everyone at your routine check-up.

With COVID they were almost totally in the dark when it first emerged so standards of practice have changed "too many times" from our perspective as non-medical professionals.
A change in standard of practice does not mean the medical profession cannot be trusted.
Like the standard to quarantine the healthy rather than just the ill? When in history has that ever been done?

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like the standard to quarantine the healthy rather than just the ill? When in history has that ever been done?
The very definition of quarantine has it’s origins in the isolation of the asymptomatic
So the history of the word and the history of the practice goes back centuries.
Just google the word quarantine.
The history is pretty easy to check out

Last edited:

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a serious disease is easily transmitted and takes a long time for symptoms to develop, then quarantining healthy people makes sense. Let's be careful about judging the initial decision to quarantine everyone. We did not really know how serious this disease was in February.

I think the real question is why quarantines have been maintained in some states even after we knew more about the disease. Yes - I'd say a prolonged lockdown, like in CA, is political.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If a serious disease is easily transmitted and takes a long time for symptoms to develop, then quarantining healthy people makes sense. Let's be careful about judging the initial decision to quarantine everyone. We did not really know how serious this disease was in February.

I think the real question is why quarantines have been maintained in some states even after we knew more about the disease. Yes - I'd say a prolonged lockdown, like in CA, is political.
We know now its a hoax and not serious at all.
Tuberculosis killed 1.5 million last year. Transmitted the same way. Why didnt anyone wear mask or quarantine then? Covid hasnt effected near that many lives.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quarantining of healthy people?
Yes
Various responses to the [Influenza] pandemic were tried. Health authorities in major cities of the Western world implemented a range of disease-containment strategies, including the closure of schools, churches, and theaters and the suspension of public gatherings. In Paris, a sporting event, in which 10,000 youths were to participate, was postponed (36). Yale University canceled all on-campus public meetings, and some churches in Italy suspended confessions and funeral ceremonies. Physicians encouraged the use of measures like respiratory hygiene and social distancing.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3559034/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom