OG & E email 2/14/21 @ 18:53

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Customers asked to conserve energy across Midwest

fykBhpdpYJl9U-hgfwhuG4KNMzTO3qLkGHnZoqJYIdfM5MG0dR_AvG0QEuOX9VvPjYftj735xVsH45d9SgiN-lnHnft4xHRBNTKmLfTJ2tqmL9EdkxosfamN3z1ayAevLyPvk8ZK403xpFHCOcl6xlhXa_Wo8PCS2PE=s0-d-e1-ft

We hope you're staying warm during these extreme weather conditions. As you may be aware, much of the Midwest is experiencing these frigid temperatures, resulting in an exceptionally high demand for electricity. The Southwest Power Pool has asked electrical utility customers and businesses to reduce their natural gas usage by conserving electricity use. So we'd like to ask for your help, provided you’re able to do so safely.

Electricity customers can take simple conservation steps:

• Set thermostats lower than usual, if health permits
  • Avoid using major electric appliances such as stoves, dishwashers and clothes dryers
  • Turn off electric lights and appliances that you do not need or are not using
  • Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible
  • Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes
Following these guidelines to reduce the use of electricity will help avoid possible electric power shortages later.

Who is Southwest Power Pool?

SPP is an independent, non-profit organization that manages the bulk power system under rules and regulations of the North American Electric Reliability Corporation and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. SPP does not own or operate generation or transmission facilities. Similar to air traffic controllers who monitor air space, SPP monitors the electric power network to ensure that electricity safely and reliably gets to end-use customers in a 14-state region. SPP maintains and implements real-time contingency plans to address emergencies on the electric grid.

For more information, visit oge.com. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

Stay safe,

Your friends at OG&E

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’re averaging $20-25 a day since we’re all electric. Been burning wood all weekend too. Staying warm, but sure is expensive.
I had a 800 square foot apartment with electric heat that was more expensive to heat than my brothers 2300 square foot house that had gas heat.His electric and gas bill together were less than my electric bill.The gas heat feels warmer too.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so all you reloaders with the fancy casefeeders and bullet feeders please consider shutting those down and loading cases/bullets by hand.
Oh my, how short sighted of me. I'm been processing brass most of the day, without considering how my case feeder and wet tumbler are straining the power grid!

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA CITY -

Oklahomans are being asked to take steps to conserve energy during the winter storm due to high demand in the region, according to state leaders.

Things you can do:

1. Set thermostat to 68 or cooler
  2. Turn off or unplug unnecessary electronics
  3. Avoid using large appliances like washer, dryers and dishwashers
The request has been echoed by Oklahoma Natural Gas.

"Due to the extended duration of historically low temperatures, we are seeing much higher natural gas use and natural gas prices have gone up," said Kent Shortridge, vice president of operations for Oklahoma Natural Gas. "While we do not markup the price of natural gas, these events will have an impact on customer bills. At this time, we can’t quantify what the impact will be."

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TULSA, Okla. (February 14, 2021) – Public Service Company of Oklahoma (PSO), acting upon a request of the Southwest Power Pool (SPP), is asking all customers to implement energy conservation measures to mitigate the risk of worsening conditions with power supplies in the region. SPP, the regional entity that manages the electric grid across 17 central and western U.S. states, is asking for those conservation measures over the next several days.

According to SPP’s analysis of current forecast data, the region’s energy supply may continue to tighten over the next several days because of persistent, widespread and extreme cold. Customers can help reduce the risk of widespread and longer-lasting outages by temporarily reducing the amount of energy they use.

PSO asks its customers to turn down thermostats and reduce usage of large appliances to limit the use of electricity, so that no further measures are necessary. The company stresses that customers should use energy needed for personal safety and to protect against property damage but minor adjustments to thermostats and other measures can make a significant difference to the system.

Cold weather safety tips can be found on the PSO website here with energy savings tips here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom