OG&E Solar power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fooled once with the same spill guaranteed low price on wind and it would save me money and I was locked in to save money ..Then about 1.5 or 2 years later they put a fee on my bill to have wind power.
Yea I paid it for a few months and then called and said I want to opt out of wind power you guys lied to me.
I got this Email today about Solar.
Yea Not buying into another scam that will cost me more. LIARS!

That’s right, sign up for OG&E’s Solar Power for your home, at your home now—it’s easy to do. Even better, our guaranteed Solar Power Price means you’ll stay locked into that rate—even when the cost to produce electricity increases in the future. It’s easy to sign up and gain the benefits of the sun. And don’t wait! Initial solar programs sold out in weeks. So check out this great rate option.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your going to get hooked up so the Chickasaw and Choctaw tribes can get cheap energy.
"Even better, our guaranteed Solar Power Price means you’ll stay locked into that rate—even when the cost to produce electricity increases in the future. It’s easy to sign up and gain the benefits of the sun says OG&E".
If it comes from the sun for free. Why won't your rate decrease, not increase in the future?
Scammers! Everybody's got a scam going these days.

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bunch of bull. Have solar hooked to grid for a year now. $20 connection fee all year long with Choctaw electric. Bank extra production for winter months. 30% tax credit on tax return. Dunno about og&e but it was damn sure worth it under Choctaw electric terms.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bunch of bull. Have solar hooked to grid for a year now. $20 connection fee all year long with Choctaw electric. Bank extra production for winter months. 30% tax credit on tax return. Dunno about og&e but it was damn sure worth it under Choctaw electric terms.
You must have one heck of a solar array or the Choctaw tribe is paying you retail for the energy you return to the grid.
It's a little known fact that public utilities only pay wholesale on energy returned that is produced by home wind or solar grids.
The people that sell these systems forget to bring up that little tidbit. The person paying for the "free electricity" is rarely satisfied with the eventual outcome when they are told their electric meter will run backwards.
If the Utility is producing it for $18 per kilowatt retail, they will only buy it for $5.
Its a big business within the Okla regulated utilities. Any excess not under state regulation can be sold on the open market for sometimes up to XX per kilowatt. Don't know what it is now so not going to speculate.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Solar is simply a fishing expedition to get your money.
In most cases, your correct especially if one is living in or near an urban environment with public utilities.
We are in New Mexico and Southern Colorado on a regular basis and travel around when we are there in the rural areas.
Thousands upon thousands of folks live off grid in those states. Solar power is their only energy. Most of the homes off grid use an array of panels that are about 10' X 10' for a small probably one bedroom home of 600 sq' or so in the middle of a high country desert. They move with the sun to make sure they are facing the sun 100% of the time electronically. I'm sure they have to maintain battery banks and inverters. Some have small wind towers but there isn't much wind there to justify them.
That's the only time I can see the advantage of Solar or wind at this time.
Solar probably has the best chance of going into the future if there is a huge advancement in storage batteries, but the thought of enough storage batteries to sustain the grid in times of no sun or no wind that sometimes lasts weeks is beyond my capability's of imagination using current technology.
Wind is an albatross on the necks of Americans. If Government subsidies quit today, the plains would be a cemetery of wind towers with tens of thousands of monuments.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember what year it was, but it was a lot of years back. The wife and I were at the state fair and saw a booth where one could sign up for wind power for their homes. Found out then that there would be an additional cost for the power. I asked if they were going to wire directly to my house from the wind farm electricity. Answer was not reason enough to sign up just to say we were using wind power.

In fact, we may be getting wind power, but we aren't paying extra for it.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In most cases, your correct especially if one is living in or near an urban environment with public utilities.
We are in New Mexico and Southern Colorado on a regular basis and travel around when we are there in the rural areas.
Thousands upon thousands of folks live off grid in those states. Solar power is their only energy. Most of the homes off grid use an array of panels that are about 10' X 10' for a small probably one bedroom home of 600 sq' or so in the middle of a high country desert. They move with the sun to make sure they are facing the sun 100% of the time electronically. I'm sure they have to maintain battery banks and inverters. Some have small wind towers but there isn't much wind there to justify them.
That's the only time I can see the advantage of Solar or wind at this time.
Solar probably has the best chance of going into the future if there is a huge advancement in storage batteries, but the thought of enough storage batteries to sustain the grid in times of no sun or no wind that sometimes lasts weeks is beyond my capability's of imagination using current technology.
Wind is an albatross on the necks of Americans. If Government subsidies quit today, the plains would be a cemetery of wind towers with tens of thousands of monuments.

In all cases you listed as one of my sones lived and worked in NM for 21 yrs. That said in our state it’s an effort to more or less phish people into something they will sorely regret. Slick Willy promotions looking for a sucker. As for govt subsidies in this area it’s a complete fleecing of Uncle Sam.

Latest posts

Top Bottom