OG&E

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife got a phone call just a bit ago that was pretty interesting. It was OG&E and they told my wife that they were going to kill our electric in a little bit if we didn't pay a late payment. The problem is that we don't even use OG&E. We use NEO coop and we aren't tardy on payments either. So, I figure scam, has to be. I had my wife to call them back, but not at the number that called, but at a main OG&E number. It really was them, they had apparently got our number wrong.

So, here's the issue. Whey in hell would OG&E be cutting ANYONE's power off right now in these weather conditions? I didn't even think that was legal?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't get this to link properly so here it is.
Looks like they shouldn't be cutting it off right now. Unless they changed their policy.

-----------------------
Oklahoma utility policy works to keep customers from being left in the cold

kemp.jpg

by Adam Kemp
Published: Fri, December 28, 2012 12:00 AM
shares
email

Oklahomans worried about their heat being cut off in the cold because of a past-due bill can rest warm and easy.

Oklahoma Natural Gas Co. and Oklahoma Gas and Electric Co. both follow an Oklahoma Corporation Commission policy that says service will not be disconnected if the temperature is or is predicted to be 32 degrees or lower.

The policy also says that if the nighttime temperature is predicted to be 20 degrees or lower on the day of a scheduled disconnect, then the heat must stay on.

ONG spokeswoman Cherokee Ballard said gas company officials encourage customers to call if they are having trouble paying their bill.

“We absolutely work with customers, and if they want to call and say they need a little more time to pay their bill, we will try and work with them,” Ballard said. “We want to work with our customers as much as possible.”

ONG's Share the Warmth program and OG&E's Lend a Hand program are options for customers to help keep their heat on in the frigid temperatures.

Both programs are administered through the Salvation Army to help people 62 or older, individuals with disabilities and people struggling to make a payment.

The programs are funded through donations. ONG and OG&E customers who wish to donate can specify an amount on their monthly bill.

ad_300_250.jpg

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^I went to their website and saw that. They're full of chit. I would have sworn it was a scam until my wife called their main number.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also here is the rule.

The Cold Weather Rule was established to protect residential customers from disconnection if they are unable to pay their electric bill in full.

This protection lasts from November 1 through April 1 and both the following conditions apply:

1. The disconnection would affect the main heating source; AND

2. The member must qualify for a payment arrangement that is agreed to by the utility and the member.

• The Cold Weather Rule offers a reconnection plan that may allow service to be turned on if service was disconnected as of November 1.

• The Cold Weather Rule does not totally forbid winter disconnection. If a disconnection notice is received the member must act promptly.

• Members are encouraged to make nominal payments each month to avoid disconnection for non-payment in April when the Cold Weather Rule no long applies.

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Did they have an explanation for why they would do that under the circumstances?

You could report it to the Oklahoma Corporation Commission....

My wife said that they just apologized, claimed they got their wires crossed and blamed automation. We don't even use OG&E though and never got a call from them before. Weird stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom