OGE remotely controlling thermostat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8thegr8

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I joined the smart hours program last summer and saved a whole bunch of money, but I've been noticing lately that my thermostat's set temperature schedule will randomly change, and I woke up freezing a few nights ago because the thermostat had suddenly switched from manual to "conservation" mode. It's starting to piss me off and I'm thinking about replacing their crappy thermostat with a non-connected one.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Night before last (the night of the frost) and all of yesterday, for the life of me I couldn't get my heater to turn on. I did everything I could think of to get it to kick over but simply wouldn't. It all of a sudden came to life last night around 7, could this have been the same thing or is my heater about to die?

Apogee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We joined the smarthours program, and saved a bunch of money, but bought our own programmable thermostats.

I do recommend the program if anyone wants to save a some cash this Summer.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They dont remotely control the thermostat, they have multiple schedules programmed that vary based on pricing and temp, IE when they have the emergency peak hours, your settings can be over ridden based on whether you have it set to default, comfort, or budget. They also have a problem, as does the NEST thermostat, with heat pumps, or supplemental heating systems. For some reason they dont have enough power to cycle them on. My moms heat pump had this issue with here programmable thermostat. Couldnt keep it warm when it dropped below 50 as it wouldnt kick on the furnace (back up to the heat pump).

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big Brother is in control and you gladly let him have it. I WILL not have a smart meter, despite their arm twisting, saying I must do it, or anything else they want to try. I will control my own electric usage.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When it's 110 degrees outside, we may need to turn your AC off for a few hours to minimize brown outs; for the greater good, you know.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not in the smart hours program but am somewhat of a cheap bastege when it comes to heating/cooling costs. I have a Nest thermostat and set the "auto away" function so it keeps my costs down. Love that thing. Plus I can see the temp in my house from my phone anytime I'm gone.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Big Brother...
This is not Big Brother, it's a voluntary agreement between a private company and a consumer of said company's product. They get to control their costs (and potentially avoid spending megabucks on a new generating plant) and the consumer can get a drastically reduced electricity bill; it's a potential win-win. If you don't like the terms, you don't have to participate...

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not in the smart hours program but am somewhat of a cheap bastege when it comes to heating/cooling costs. I have a Nest thermostat and set the "auto away" function so it keeps my costs down. Love that thing. Plus I can see the temp in my house from my phone anytime I'm gone.

I never understood this. Why would I care what the temp is when im not there?

Latest posts

Top Bottom