Oh Norman..........Mask Alert.......The Sky is Falling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not if people won't assist in the effort. The one in Edmond had arrows on the isles for traffic flow also. That did not appear to be effective to me. Most seem to ignore them.

That's what I'm saying . . . while my wife and I had our masks on she was oblivious to the shopping lane arrows until we got done. Since then we've tried to follow them as much as reasonably possible.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How in the hell would a clear mask stop any virus or face shield? It just disperses the virus in different directions upon exhale or cough. A fan or breeze behind the server would blow it right onto the person in front of them. How can the mask/face shield help with that scenario?
Wearing masks is a joke. The majority wear one with the nose exposed or around their chins. See it every day and I'm moving around the country right now, not stuck in some liberal enclave or conservative fortress.
The "experts" can't even come to a conclusive decision if masks help or not. I get news feeds every day from liberal and conservative news outlets. The lack of knowledge and conflicting discussion about the effectiveness of masks does not ride across political lines. CNN, WAPO. NYT, and FOX all have conflicting reports on the effectiveness of masks. Highly rated epidemiologists from the greatest medical facilities can't agree no matter their political orientation.
WHO says masks are not effective. Remember that? Then they said they were effective. Which is it?
It has nothing to do about helping others around you when wearing a mask as no mask would or can stop all of the viruses be it influenza or the rona.
The mob has morphed that into stop one virus might save a child just like all the other stupid arguments they come up using that analogy.
Meanwhile the same mob advocates killing unborn children by the millions and has no issue with mobs rioting in the streets.
You see how that works?

They make masks with clear cutouts to aid hearing impaired folks. And the shield is also something that i know universities are going to employ to help for the same reason. I believe they function in similar ways to patricians in that they cut down on the spread of particulates in the breath. I don't pretend to know if they are perfect, but i suspect a lot of this is now 'the next best thing' since we clearly don't want to shut things down again. And doing nothing because some folks can't (or wont) figure out how to use a mask is ridiculous, too.

And, capitalism is supposed to be great at figuring out how to fill market needs, right? If it's an issue for people who can't hear well then surely someone will figure it out. Or maybe we just tell folks like you, 'sorry' when it comes to eating out (in the same way we seem okay saying it to high risk folks).

It's almost as if the scientists are trying to figure it out as we go. And how to balance it all with the shifting political winds. I believe there is information out there about why masks were not initially recommended and are now.

I wont bother to address the rest of your red herring statement, though. It's not worth my time to say anything about a position i have not taken.

Edited to add, this picture popped up on my newsfeed earlier today. It shows a type of mask that can help contain spread, but still allows for lip reading.

dobbs-2.jpeg

Last edited:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's what I'm saying . . . while my wife and I had our masks on she was oblivious to the shopping lane arrows until we got done. Since then we've tried to follow them as much as reasonably possible.
Dang spell check - that should have been "aisles". I caught myself more than once going in the wrong direction - just wasn't paying close enough attention.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Reported" is the key word. There are news reports out there that puts it back over a month prior. China only decided to "report" it when it was evident it was going to be a pandemic that could easily be traced back to them as it was.

i agree that there is likely more information. Perhaps it will come out some day.

In the context of the post, though, i was asking because it would put him on the leading edge of the known timeline. And unless he had just returned from the hot zone, it seems that it could just as easily have been an atypical presentation of a known illness. And that it was likely not a good protection to assume he would have the antibodies (which is why i asked if he had an antibody test done).

Perhaps we'll learn more about what really happened in the coming years when we have time to sort reality from conjecture.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the infected count has gone up and this is generally seen as a bad sign.

But if you have testing centers and let people get tested, the counts WILL go up. (conversely, if there are no test kits then the count stays at zero)

It doesn't matter which virus or bacteria you test. If it's an airborne pathogen and you have people living together in an area, then yes things do spread because that's the very nature of the pathogen. Most people have an immune system that can handle random airborne pathogens thata are always transmitted among populations (even pre-2020 corona days)

So when did "flatten the curve" (for hospital capacity) turn into "stop the spread"? As far as I can tell, the serious cases and deaths in OK have not skyrocketed and our hospitals have capacity.

This thing is going to spread, in fact it has been, but I'm not seeing reports of Mercy, Norman Regional, or Integris being inundated.

So what the heck is the problem? Why are some of our state leaders trying to fight biology?

Speaking from what i know about mississippi, our state testing volume is down from mid march, yet infections are up. More tests is not simply exposing more positives because we aren't doing more tests.

And i agree, people seem to forget there was never a promise of 'stopping' this. However many of the trends seem to show that we aren't keeping the curve flat. Yesterday our gov. reported that our state's five biggest hospitals are now out of ICU beds.

And New Zealand seems to be an example of where flattening the curve has lead to stopping the spread in an effective manner.

As as been said before, infections don't stop on a dime (unless we go back to serious efforts to stay at home), so if we want to prevent overloading the health system we have to take steps now.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not mine but I can see me having this conversation with some people I know. You know who you are

Something to think about and remember...what we put into our minds over and over;we believe . We don’t think rational as we have trained the mind to think that way!!!

With that said...this is gonna ruffle a few feathers. In reference to this whole “wear a mask” hysteria...

Random person: “Wear a mask!!!”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right?

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick.

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask.

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze.

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts.

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning.

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms.

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask.

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too.

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care.

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks.

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms?

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick.

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die.

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate.

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable.

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness.

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

R: They are obviously flawed.

M: How so?

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important.

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks.

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine?

R: It’s a new virus.

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask.

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue?

R: I’ll report you if you don’t.

M: What country am I in again?

(Author unknown)

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not mine but I can see me having this conversation with some people I know. You know who you are

Something to think about and remember...what we put into our minds over and over;we believe . We don’t think rational as we have trained the mind to think that way!!!

With that said...this is gonna ruffle a few feathers. In reference to this whole “wear a mask” hysteria...

Random person: “Wear a mask!!!”

Me: The viral particles are much smaller than the pores of the mask, so the mask is ineffective at filtering them. Right?

R: No, they travel on droplets and the masks keep the droplets out. Or they keep them in if you’re sick.

M: So wait, how is the virus transmitted?

R: Through droplets. Wear the mask.

M: Droplets?

R: Yes, like droplets spewed through a cough or sneeze.

M: So through people who are showing symptoms?

R: Yes

M: So why do healthy people need to wear masks?

R: Because of asymptomatic spread. Listen to the experts.

M: I am listening to the experts. Many studies show, and even the WHO announced, that asymptomatic transmission is exceedingly rare. Did you read that?

R: WHO walked that back to clarify that its presymptomatic spread that’s concerning.

M: Presymptomatic?

R: Yes, like they are infected but showing no symptoms.

M: Symptoms like coughing or sneezing?

R: Yes.

M: So how is the virus spread again?

R: Just wear the mask.

M: Are you going to answer the question?

R: It’s like pants.

M: Pants?

R: If a person pees in public without pants on, you have a greater chance of getting pee on you. Your risk is reduced further if you are wearing pants too.

M: First of all, people don’t pee in public. Second, if they did pee in public, the only way someone’s stream of urine would hit me is if they were directly aiming for me and standing close enough to hit me. And third, I don’t care if you wear pants. How does this relate?

R: If someone coughs on you in public you’ll care.

M: People don’t just cough on each other. The last time someone coughed directly in my face was when I had toddlers and they didn’t understand common courtesy and germ transmission. The only way someone would cough directly on me in public is if they were aiming. Anyway pants don’t keep the pee in, it’s still going to get everywhere. Pants just change the direction of the flow. Same with masks.

R: Common courtesy?! You don’t have common courtesy if you’re refusing to do something as simple as wearing a mask!

M: How is it courteous to ask me to do something I disagree with (based on research) especially when I’m not sick or showing any symptoms when the virus is spread through the droplets of people who are showing symptoms?

R: You’ll think differently if you get sick.

M: If I get sick, I’ll stay home. But if I must go out I will be happy to not cough on people. But just to clarify, would you stand near me in public if I were wearing a mask and coughing?

R: No, I mean, if you get sick, you could die.

M: The virus has a 99.9 something percent survival rate.

R: It’s not about you, it’s about protecting the vulnerable.

M: If I am not sick or showing symptoms how am I further protecting the vulnerable by wearing a mask? Studies also show these masks put the wearer at increased risk of illness.

R: You can’t listen to those studies, you need to listen to professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

M: These studies ARE from professionals in the fields of medicine and science.

R: They are obviously flawed.

M: How so?

R: It wouldn’t be a mandate if it weren’t important.

M: Why is it a mandate now that the death rate has plummeted when it wasn’t a mandate during the peak?

R: Because of new studies on masks.

M: So masks have never been studied before, in the entire history of medicine?

R: It’s a new virus.

M: A new virus that is transmitted in the same way as other viruses. How is it transmitted again? Through droplets of people showing symptoms? So, if I’m not sick or showing symptoms and I have no fever and I’m not coughing, how would my wearing a mask further prevent transmission?

R: Stop being an ******* and wear the mask.

M: So, you’re asking that I stop thinking critically, accept a fascist mandate, join the herd, and walk blindly into a dangerous abyss of ever increasing control over my self sovereignty, all while signaling my virtue?

R: I’ll report you if you don’t.

M: What country am I in again?

(Author unknown)

giphy.gif

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must not shop at Walmart. Yes, people cough and sneeze on people. I saw a guy sneeze in a guys face the other day and I'm talking a big sneeze all over the front of him. And you don't have to aim at someone as a sneeze or cough spreads out fast.
iu

iu

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You must not shop at Walmart. Yes, people cough and sneeze on people. I saw a guy sneeze in a guys face the other day and I'm talking a big sneeze all over the front of him. And you don't have to aim at someone as a sneeze or cough spreads out fast.
iu

iu
That wasnt my quote, Reading comprehension is key

Latest posts

Top Bottom