Oh Norman..........Mask Alert.......The Sky is Falling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They make masks with clear cutouts to aid hearing impaired folks. And the shield is also something that i know universities are going to employ to help for the same reason. I believe they function in similar ways to patricians in that they cut down on the spread of particulates in the breath. I don't pretend to know if they are perfect, but i suspect a lot of this is now 'the next best thing' since we clearly don't want to shut things down again. And doing nothing because some folks can't (or wont) figure out how to use a mask is ridiculous, too.

And, capitalism is supposed to be great at figuring out how to fill market needs, right? If it's an issue for people who can't hear well then surely someone will figure it out. Or maybe we just tell folks like you, 'sorry' when it comes to eating out (in the same way we seem okay saying it to high risk folks).

It's almost as if the scientists are trying to figure it out as we go. And how to balance it all with the shifting political winds. I believe there is information out there about why masks were not initially recommended and are now.

I wont bother to address the rest of your red herring statement, though. It's not worth my time to say anything about a position i have not taken.

Edited to add, this picture popped up on my newsfeed earlier today. It shows a type of mask that can help contain spread, but still allows for lip reading.

dobbs-2.jpeg
You call my statement a red herring because you don't have an answer for it. That's OK.
I have discussions almost daily with those that haven't really researched the effectiveness of masks. It's amazing to see their reactions when confronted with the truth and facts to back them up.
You on the on the other hand post a picture of a guy in a white coat to symbolize something while wearing a common dust mask. No way that mask will stop any virus into or out of that joke.
The lady signing is wearing that clear mask as a political statement to show she is doing something.
Something that would be totally ineffective just as the dust mask worn by the other party in the picture.
I'm pretty sure my post you quoted holds water.
Am I an anti mask nazi? No.
Wore one today at the request of the owner of a fly shop I needed to do business with. His wife has stage three cancer and he is doing everything he can to stay in business so he can pay for her cancer treatments. I had no issues putting on one that has been custom made for me by a young niece that was sewing them to make some money. Great conservative training!
Was it an effective way to prevent the spread? Not likely but it's his business and he has the right to ask his customers comply with his requests.
If I didn't like the requirements, my business could have been taken elsewhere but it wasn't.
Just watched Mayor Deblasio of NYC painting BLM logo's on the street in a news report. I counted three within 6 feet of him that had their nose exposed while using the paint rollers. Masks improperly worn by those near the guy that wants to arrest and fine citizens of his city to enforce proper mask wearing.
That certainly backs up my point the majority of people are not wearing anything that will protect anybody against anything other than dust.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just not convinced that a mask short of a full sealing and of a certified construction or type will do much of anything. They say that it blocks an infected person from spreading, but how does it not just go out the sides since there is no positive seal? This video has been around since April but still seems relevant. It won't change any politician minds though so it can probably be ignored? :anyone:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm just not convinced that a mask short of a full sealing and of a certified construction or type will do much of anything. They say that it blocks an infected person from spreading, but how does it not just go out the sides since there is no positive seal? This video has been around since April but still seems relevant. It won't change any politician minds though so it can probably be ignored? :anyone:

No one in the history of ever has claimed it will stop everything. The theory is that it can REDUCE the spread. For goodness' sake, look at pictures of people sneezing and coughing with proper lighting to show the spray, the droplets, all the crap they spray around - and THEN tell me masks do NOTHING.

The hyperbole on both sides of this debate/argument/insanity is just disheartening.

No wonder our country is so f***ed.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You call my statement a red herring because you don't have an answer for it. That's OK.
I have discussions almost daily with those that haven't really researched the effectiveness of masks. It's amazing to see their reactions when confronted with the truth and facts to back them up.
You on the on the other hand post a picture of a guy in a white coat to symbolize something while wearing a common dust mask. No way that mask will stop any virus into or out of that joke.
The lady signing is wearing that clear mask as a political statement to show she is doing something.
Something that would be totally ineffective just as the dust mask worn by the other party in the picture.
I'm pretty sure my post you quoted holds water.
Am I an anti mask nazi? No.
Wore one today at the request of the owner of a fly shop I needed to do business with. His wife has stage three cancer and he is doing everything he can to stay in business so he can pay for her cancer treatments. I had no issues putting on one that has been custom made for me by a young niece that was sewing them to make some money. Great conservative training!
Was it an effective way to prevent the spread? Not likely but it's his business and he has the right to ask his customers comply with his requests.
If I didn't like the requirements, my business could have been taken elsewhere but it wasn't.
Just watched Mayor Deblasio of NYC painting BLM logo's on the street in a news report. I counted three within 6 feet of him that had their nose exposed while using the paint rollers. Masks improperly worn by those near the guy that wants to arrest and fine citizens of his city to enforce proper mask wearing.
That certainly backs up my point the majority of people are not wearing anything that will protect anybody against anything other than dust.

On the road but will try to read the novel later.

did gather that I wasn’t clear, the guy in white is the state medical official and that was a press conference. The lady is the sign language interpreter.

it was meant to show there are ways of addressing your concerns about reading lips and still wearing a mask.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one in the history of ever has claimed it will stop everything. The theory is that it can REDUCE the spread. For goodness' sake, look at pictures of people sneezing and coughing with proper lighting to show the spray, the droplets, all the crap they spray around - and THEN tell me masks do NOTHING.

The hyperbole on both sides of this debate/argument/insanity is just disheartening.

No wonder our country is so f***ed.
This
iu

or this
Face-mask-construction-materials-matter-for-containing-coughing-sneezing-droplets.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom