Ok be gentle on me. Newbie question here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Mayo

New to the site!
Reaction score
New to CCW. Will be process serving. What would you recomend. Please be specific with full names of brands and model numbers. I have talked to gun shop owners but would like more input. Would also like to have a weapon in the truck. Even would like to know the best training facilities and classes that would apply to me. I am a 46 yr. old male in good health. Thanks for your help.

MercFE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like questions that involve an awful lot of personal preference.

For choosing a weapon, I suggest that you try as many as you can before you purchase one. Not only is will you be able to be sure that the weapon is right for you... You'll be able to have a lot of fun in the process! :fullauto:

As for holsters, again a lot of personal preference. I carry a Glock 27 in a Milt Sparks VMII IWB holster. After 4 different holsters, this is the most comfortable, and concealable holster that I've found. In fact, it works so well that I'm trying to find the funds to find a larger weapon to carry.

Also, browse the forums or use the search function. All your questions have been discussed many times here. But, don't fear. The guys and gals here have been a wealth of information ever since I joined. And they don't bite... Too often.

RetCapt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
New to CCW. Will be process serving. What would you recomend. Please be specific with full names of brands and model numbers. I have talked to gun shop owners but would like more input. Would also like to have a weapon in the truck. Even would like to know the best training facilities and classes that would apply to me. I am a 46 yr. old male in good health. Thanks for your help.

Good advice I've heard is that you should get a gun that you can carry with a good measure of comfort. If it's uncomfortable, you'll be tempted to leave it at home. A .22 derringer in your pocket will be more effective than a shotgun that you leave at home! I can recommend the S&W 642 Airweight series; with a pocket holster, they fit in the front pocket of jeans or Dockers. The concealed hammer prevents snags when you draw it, and it could even be fired from within the holster in your pocket. 5 shots of .38 +P.

I also sometimes carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II with Crimson Trace laser grips. This is a light weight .45 and shoots very well. It goes into a slider holster on my belt and hides well under an untucked shirt.

Take a look at www.bond-arms.com also. I got to shoot one recently and it's worth consideration. Only 2 rounds of ammo, but big rounds!

You might consider beggin' or borrowin' various guns from friends to try out. Rent some of 'em too if you need to. That way you'll have a feel for what each offers.

For training, you might talk to the folks at H&H in OKC. A bit of a drive from Sulphur, but it might be worth your time. I took the pistol class from Will and was quite pleased with the results.

Good luck in your search. Read a lot, ask lots of questions, and take your time to find what you need.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Neil , state law prohibits process servers from carrying a firearm when working.You are an officer of the court and would be in deep dodo if you were caught. Steve

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow! I always get a chuckle out of this particular question.

We OSAers are good and quick about giving advice, so you've came to the right place. :thumb:

Ok. Here's da ting. Me tellin' you what kinda gun you need is like me tellin' you that you need a Toyota when you really don't like 'em all dat much, and you had your heart set on a Chevy, capeech?

Basically, there are two kinds of concealed weapons. The ones you carry and the ones you won't. I could tell you all day long what I think a perfect concealed carry piece is and at least 60% of the folks here will disagree. The one thing we DO agree on, is get a weapon that YOU can handle and one the YOU will carry. Meaning, everybody likes something different. I personally would never carry anything that wasn't at least 9mm or .38 Special caliber, but lotsa guys like the mouse guns chambered in .380, .32ACP, .25ACP and .22LR. However, the mouse gun guys are few and far between. A mouse in the pocket is always better than a howitzer at home, but let's focus on the norm or standard concealed weapon right now.

Our group can basically be categorized in four sections.

1911 guys.
DA/SA guys.
Plastc guys.
Revolver guys.

There are a lot of 1911 fans here. I'm not one of them. :disappoin I think the 1911 is a gorgeous weapon, second only to a Smith & Wesson revolver, but IMO, looks is about all it's got going for it. Especially for an inexperienced shooter. :respect:

We also have a few DA/SA guys. Meaning, they like the Sigs, Berettas, Ruger P series, and Smith & Wesson 3rd gen autos. These are "decent" guns, but I just don't care for the DA first shot and then SA on the remaining ones. I reckon you could fire that first shot into the air. :rolleyes2

Next we have the Plastic guys. Ah yes...the Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, HKs and a few others that have hopped on the bandwagon. Never before has a weapon design caught the attention of every major (and a few minor) gun companies than the introduction of polymer, made "famous" by Mr. Gaston Glock. :bowdown: Actually, polymer was being used way before Mr. Glock invented his famous (or infamous) Glock 17 over 25 years ago. Polymer was probably first used on the M16s sent to Vietnam and if my memory serves me correctly, the actual first polymer pistol was invented by Hk...right? Anyway, the assorted plastic guns are extremely popular. I would say that the only other weapon design that has got as many copycats is probably the 1911. There are more 1911 clones than Carter's got peanuts.

Finally, we have the revolver guys. There is a plethora of revolver companies out there, but the ones that get the most attention ('round here anyways) is the Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Colt brands. Usually in that order. S&Ws are the most popular, Rugers are the cheapest (and toughest) and Colts are basically for the collectors. Revolvers are drop dead reliable, more so than their bottom feeding bretheren, but your limited to only 5/6 rounds. There are a handful of S&W 8 shooters out there, but I would think they would be kinda tough to conceal. As always, YMMV. :D

Actually, finding the right weapon is the EASY part. Finding the right holster? Well...that's another six pack. ;)

I'll read a few more responses before I suggest what would work best for you. Of course, you gotta help us out by telling us a little bit more about yourself.

For instance, your build, lifestyle, ability (or inabilities) right/left handed, attire which can (and probably will need to be) modified and where you plan on carrying the most. Also, if you are gonna be in and out of government type buildings, you'll hafta adjust for that.

You are taking on a COMPLETE and total lifestyle change here, all because of a damned ol' gun.

Are you ready?

ray76

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate bill collectors and process servers with a passion. No offense, just a crappy job you going in to if you ask me. Oh and you can't carry while bugging people on their private property.

Nighthawk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow! I always get a chuckle out of this particular question.

We OSAers are good and quick about giving advice, so you've came to the right place. :thumb:

Ok. Here's da ting. Me tellin' you what kinda gun you need is like me tellin' you that you need a Toyota when you really don't like 'em all dat much, and you had your heart set on a Chevy, capeech?

Basically, there are two kinds of concealed weapons. The ones you carry and the ones you won't. I could tell you all day long what I think a perfect concealed carry piece is and at least 60% of the folks here will disagree. The one thing we DO agree on, is get a weapon that YOU can handle and one the YOU will carry. Meaning, everybody likes something different. I personally would never carry anything that wasn't at least 9mm or .38 Special caliber, but lotsa guys like the mouse guns chambered in .380, .32ACP, .25ACP and .22LR. However, the mouse gun guys are few and far between. A mouse in the pocket is always better than a howitzer at home, but let's focus on the norm or standard concealed weapon right now.

Our group can basically be categorized in four sections.

1911 guys.
DA/SA guys.
Plastc guys.
Revolver guys.

There are a lot of 1911 fans here. I'm not one of them. :disappoin I think the 1911 is a gorgeous weapon, second only to a Smith & Wesson revolver, but IMO, looks is about all it's got going for it. Especially for an inexperienced shooter. :respect:

We also have a few DA/SA guys. Meaning, they like the Sigs, Berettas, Ruger P series, and Smith & Wesson 3rd gen autos. These are "decent" guns, but I just don't care for the DA first shot and then SA on the remaining ones. I reckon you could fire that first shot into the air. :rolleyes2

Next we have the Plastic guys. Ah yes...the Glocks, XDs, M&Ps, HKs and a few others that have hopped on the bandwagon. Never before has a weapon design caught the attention of every major (and a few minor) gun companies than the introduction of polymer, made "famous" by Mr. Gaston Glock. :bowdown: Actually, polymer was being used way before Mr. Glock invented his famous (or infamous) Glock 17 over 25 years ago. Polymer was probably first used on the M16s sent to Vietnam and if my memory serves me correctly, the actual first polymer pistol was invented by Hk...right? Anyway, the assorted plastic guns are extremely popular. I would say that the only other weapon design that has got as many copycats is probably the 1911. There are more 1911 clones than Carter's got peanuts.

Finally, we have the revolver guys. There is a plethora of revolver companies out there, but the ones that get the most attention ('round here anyways) is the Smith & Wesson, Ruger and Colt brands. Usually in that order. S&Ws are the most popular, Rugers are the cheapest (and toughest) and Colts are basically for the collectors. Revolvers are drop dead reliable, more so than their bottom feeding bretheren, but your limited to only 5/6 rounds. There are a handful of S&W 8 shooters out there, but I would think they would be kinda tough to conceal. As always, YMMV. :D

Actually, finding the right weapon is the EASY part. Finding the right holster? Well...that's another six pack. ;)

I'll read a few more responses before I suggest what would work best for you. Of course, you gotta help us out by telling us a little bit more about yourself.

For instance, your build, lifestyle, ability (or inabilities) right/left handed, attire which can (and probably will need to be) modified and where you plan on carrying the most. Also, if you are gonna be in and out of government type buildings, you'll hafta adjust for that.

You are taking on a COMPLETE and total lifestyle change here, all because of a damned ol' gun.

Are you ready?

One thing also to keep in mind that I have had several people talking to me about lately is the amount of moisture the pistol is going to be around. Granted we all keep our pistols oiled in some way, but if your body moisture content is high and you are going to carry it close to your body you might consider one that is not blued. Look more toward the polymer varieties, and possibly not a leather holster, because the die will sometimes stain your clothes when wet.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing also to keep in mind that I have had several people talking to me about lately is the amount of moisture the pistol is going to be around. Granted we all keep our pistols oiled in some way, but if your body moisture content is high and you are going to carry it close to your body you might consider one that is not blued. Look more toward the polymer varieties, and possibly not a leather holster, because the die will sometimes stain your cloths when wet.

Good point. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom