OK Court of Criminal Appeals rules on Stand Your Ground

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article isn't perfectly clear, but it seems that the only change is that you can't appeal a motion to dismiss that has been denied. If the DA chooses to prosecute, you can file a motion to dismiss under the stand your ground law. If that motion is denied, you go to trial.

The part that's confusing is what they meant about the Legislature not intending to include residences where both parties resided. It would also be helpful to know a little more about the case, other than a wife shooting her husband in their house and claiming immunity under stand your ground.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The article isn't perfectly clear, but it seems that the only change is that you can't appeal a motion to dismiss that has been denied. If the DA chooses to prosecute, you can file a motion to dismiss under the stand your ground law. If that motion is denied, you go to trial.

The part that's confusing is what they meant about the Legislature not intending to include residences where both parties resided. It would also be helpful to know a little more about the case, other than a wife shooting her husband in their house and claiming immunity under stand your ground.
Exactly. When the wife shot the husband was it domestic abuse that she feared for that would fit the Stand your Ground provision that said, A person has no duty to retreat and that they may meet force with force, including deadly force, when confronted by a threat of death or grievous bodily injury, and that they can protect themselves with deadly force if they believe that their own lives are in jeopardy.
I don't understand the court's ruling.
If an intruder came into the domicile, and was shot, that would be OK, but if both reside in the home, and one is about to kill the other, the person about to die is in conflict and suffers grievous bodily injury has no legal claim to defend themselves?
I can see some legal wrangling on that opinion.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. When the wife shot the husband was it domestic abuse that she feared for that would fit the Stand your Ground provision that said, A person has no duty to retreat and that they may meet force with force, including deadly force, when confronted by a threat of death or grievous bodily injury, and that they can protect themselves with deadly force if they believe that their own lives are in jeopardy.
I don't understand the court's ruling.
If an intruder came into the domicile, and was shot, that would be OK, but if both reside in the home, and one is about to kill the other, the person about to die is in conflict and suffers grievous bodily injury has no legal claim to defend themselves?
I can see some legal wrangling on that opinion.

I wonder what happened that caused the DA to pursue charges. Agree that there's lots of history in abuse cases, and it's not always the man that's the abuser. My wife said "I could see her just killing him and saying he was abusive".

My wife watches too many crime shows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom