OK I confess, Amazon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree! I even have been flying American flags made in Communist China, because they are cheaper, $7.00, opposed to $21.00! But as of now I will pay the $21.00, and buy American Made, American Flags! We ALL have created a MONSTER by making Communist China RICH and POWERFUL, and I for one think, we are about to see the results of that mistake! Watch them take Tiawan by force, in the next few weeks! Then what happen?
As a member of the VFW, several years ago there was an agreement voted on to buy some ball caps to resell among the membership.
They came in with a tag that said made in Vietnam.
Needless to say, there was a big objection.
The price for caps made in the USA doubled, but they were sold out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did you also go through an amazon addiction phase? I spent thousands there between 2012 and 2015 and realized that most of the items were just impulse buys that didn't make a difference.
I have a friend that gets wasted every night on the vodka and browses amazon. He has boxes of stuff he hasn't opened.
We are working on getting him off that stuff but it's not happening. Been to a rehab facility once for a month.
Drink until passing out, wake up, make a 32 oz mug half full of vodka, watch TV, pass out and about 4 am, wake up, make another and that's the cycle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The same one you ask the question on, I suspect! We are all guilty, and stupid, for making our communist nation that likely has plans to distroy everything we stand for, if they can, rich and powerful, don't you think? If ypu don' think communist China has expansion plans just watch what happens to Tiawan in the very near future! Then watch what the PUPPET regime in Washington DC does about it! I suspect Communist China was involved in installing Joe, and Ho, and rigging our election to accomplish that very thing! Time will tell! Good luck to us!
I don't argue with most of what you said.
China see's we are weak with the current president and they own him financially.
Perfect time to take over Taiwan an we won't do a danged thing about it under this administration.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Sears was so great for so many years wish they could have figured it out.
Sears should have limited their goods to Tires, Batteries, Toolss and Appliances; ditch the clothing, shoes, cameras. TVs and candy departments.
When I was growing up it was punishment when Mom made me wear Sears Towncraft pants.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
As a member of the VFW, several years ago there was an agreement voted on to buy some ball caps to resell among the membership.
They came in with a tag that said made in Vietnam.
Needless to say, there was a big objection.
The price for caps made in the USA doubled, but they were sold out.
I get lots of ball caps from Caterpillar and they're all made in China. The hat I got from Komatsu was made in America. I donate all the Cat hats and kept the Komatsu one.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mom and Pop can't compete with the massive discounts given to the big box stores.
We try to buy local, but in a small town there isn't much competition even though we might get it cheaper online. Support your community.
As far as Amazon to the OP, we buy from them some. 2 day gratification is nice for something that is needed quickly.
Most of the stuff we buy from Amazon is tax free and free shipping as we only buy items related to farm support. You do have to submit your Ok Farm Tax permit number to qualify and be approved..

Amazon isn't a necessarily big box store, in fact the jacket in my example came from a smaller vendor. "Mom and Pop" can definitely compete when it comes to service, which seems to be a lost art, but that's across the board IMO.

People keep mentioning price, that's not my priority vs not having to go on a search party for any item. The only reason I resort to Amazon is if I know I can't get it locally after going a few places.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sears should have limited their goods to Tires, Batteries, Toolss and Appliances; ditch the clothing, shoes, cameras. TVs and candy departments.
When I was growing up it was punishment when Mom made me wear Sears Towncraft pants.
When I was a kid all my clothes and shoes came from sears except the ugly shirts my mother made for us herself. Every year right before school started we made a trip to sears for a pair of new shoes (singular) and few new clothes for the new school year. My mother was one of the most frugal persons you would ever meet. She would make a penny squeal by how hard she would pinch them. My parents grew up in the depression and never forgot. They lived to a ripe old age and had no debts and were able to leave a little for their children, grand children and charities. Their frugality paid off in the end I suppose.

A memory I have from a kid, is the whole school the first week of a new school year, is the school smelled like Sears from all the kids wearing new unwashed clothes from Sears. Sears was the go-to place for many back then. Times change and Sears didn't keep up with the changing times. At one time they were the 800 pound gorilla of retail.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is it that Sears didnt take this position? They already had the inventory, distribution, local wearhouses and their inventory was cataloged, just put the cataloge on line and you have it.
Lack of forsight?
Someone I know was following the Sears story; as he described it, that last CEO they had basically sucked all the value out of the company for his own enrichment, taking it from a solid footing to liquidation (at the time, Sears's closing was still a few years in the future). He thought the guy's actions were so egregiously bad that there probably should've been criminal charges over it.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sears had it all way before anyone else good tools,clothes, firearms heck they had everything. the catalog was great! got to be miss management.

Latest posts

Top Bottom