OK Law on home made guns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of folks are building the 80% lowers because they don't need a SN unless its going to be sold.
I remember the old Popular Mechanics that offered blueprints to build your own revolver.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I always thought it would be neat to make experimental stuff.
I have some Sten MkII blueprints and as soon as I figure out how to make it closed bolt I think it would be cool to make one. They say the Mk III took five man-hours to make per weapon.

Then there was that Witness PCR, I thought it would be neat to make something like that too.

I agree with the Sten gun. Idea ... maybe we get a Sten Gun Building Party started?!?

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the Sten gun. Idea ... maybe we get a Sten Gun Building Party started?!?

You know, if you could just get a barrel liner into a suitable barrel, it takes out the most difficult part of making a Sten gun (cutting the barrel rifling). Torch the barrel, dry ice the liner... it might work, who knows. It's not a very long barrel, either. You could probably do well enough on a HF drill press.

Barrels and cartridge brass are the hardest things to make from scratch in a manufacturing perspective (though I did see where some guy made barrel rifling using a saw blade and a custom jig).

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was told you could not remove it from your residence. After reading the oklahoma laws on guns etc I see nothing that states
you must leave it at home..No different than building an 80% lower type gun..You can hunt with those and take them places to shoot.
Should be the same thing.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Oklahoma Statute §21-1290.2, section 2-d:

"The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols."

I'm not a lawyer... but it seems that while you might legally be able to build a home-made pistol, it is NOT legal to use it as a self-defense weapon.

Just my 2¢ ...

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
From Oklahoma Statute §21-1290.2, section 2-d:

"The definition of pistol for purposes of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall not apply to homemade or imitation pistols, flare guns, underwater fishing guns or blank pistols."

I'm not a lawyer... but it seems that while you might legally be able to build a home-made pistol, it is NOT legal to use it as a self-defense weapon.

Just my 2¢ ...

IMO, since the SDA covers the carrying of firearms, you can't CARRY the homemade gun. But if you use it in your house the mentioned section of statute would not disqualify it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom