OK Laws - Guns in Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was reading this http://smartgunlaws.org/guns-in-vehicles-in-oklahoma/ and got a little confused. Perhaps someone familiar with OK gun laws can help interpret with the following in mind - I don't have CCL. Also, my wife is legal immigrant, non citizen yet. Therefore, it'll be helpful to address for both citizen and non-citizen, please?

Neither of us are felons and are both in the healthcare fields. I work in Midwest / Del City area whereas my wife works in South OKC. We frequently work late nights; hence, the need to protect ourselves.

1. Can we put handgun in our vehicles?
2. If yes, where in our vehicles? In the trunk? In the glove compartment?
3. Magazines pre-loaded with ammo but left in the same gun case? Or does the magazine have to be empty? Can the magazines be in the gun or does it have to be left out?
4. Any ammo restrictions in the same gun case?
5. What's Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 21, § 1289.13A(A) about? In the vehicle? As in on the driver's / passenger's seat? "transporting the firearm improperly"? What's the proper way of transporting the firearm?
Quote: A person stopped pursuant to a moving traffic violation who is transporting a loaded handgun in the vehicle without a valid handgun license, whether the loaded firearm is concealed or unconcealed in the vehicle, shall be issued a traffic citation for $70, plus court costs for transporting the firearm improperly, and the person may be arrested for any other violation of law

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My advice is to speak with a professional, i.e., Police Officer/Sheriff Deputy/Trooper, Lawyer, etc. Poop house lawyers will ruin your day for sure if they are incorrect, and you get the joy of all the problems. Good luck, and why not just pick up your SDA?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I normally hate it when people answer questions like Im about to do, but, please get your sda. Both of you. Even if you are in the right but the cop thinks you are wrong, just the court fees and lost wages while being at court and away from work, not to mention if you choose to hire an attorney, would pay for both your sda's and several renewals.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
If unloaded, can be anywhere. Loaded mag can be next to the weapon.
Noob2013, does your wife have a green card and is she a legal resident of Oklahoma?

I am sure that is what he means by "legal immigrant", a permanent resident, more commonly referred to as a green card.

And from what I researched, permanent residents can carry the same as citizens, but aren't eligible for a permit. So, carrying unloaded in a car the same as citizens.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If unloaded, can be anywhere. Loaded mag can be next to the weapon.

I am sure that is what he means by "legal immigrant", a permanent resident, more commonly referred to as a green card.

And from what I researched, permanent residents can carry the same as citizens, but aren't eligible for a permit. So, carrying unloaded in a car the same as citizens.

I just did some research and it appears that you do have to be a citizen of the United States to be eligible for an Oklahoma Handgun License. A person who holds a Green Card may purchase a handgun but Oklahoma will not allow such a person to have a CHL.

§21-1290.9. Eligibility.
ELIGIBILITY

The following requirements shall apply to any person making application to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation for a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act. The person must:

1. Be a citizen of the United States;

Personally, I don't see why a permanent resident on a 'Green Card' shouldn't be allowed to have a CHL.

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom