OK Laws - Guns in Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just did some research and it appears that you do have to be a citizen of the United States to be eligible for an Oklahoma Handgun License. A person who holds a Green Card may purchase a handgun but Oklahoma will not allow such a person to have a CHL.

Personally, I don't see why a permanent resident on a 'Green Card' shouldn't be allowed to have a CHL.

Woody

That's what I said, right? I'm just making sure you didn't think I was saying a permanent resident WAS eligible for a permit in OK - they're not. This was one thing I looked into and was going to get my wife a Utah non-resident permit, because resident aliens (i.e., green card holders) were eligible. But I think OK law changed to prevent that. What I was referencing was carrying/transporting WITHOUT a permit in a vehicle, just like a citizen.

Personally, I think if you are a legal resident alien, you should be eligible for an Oklahoma Handgun License. Why do we not allow legal immigrants the right to defend themselves the same as citizens?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just did some research and it appears that you do have to be a citizen of the United States to be eligible for an Oklahoma Handgun License. A person who holds a Green Card may purchase a handgun but Oklahoma will not allow such a person to have a CHL.

Personally, I don't see why a permanent resident on a 'Green Card' shouldn't be allowed to have a CHL.

Woody
She is only "permanent" as long as she is married or becomes a citizen

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK, here's the deal; had many people take the SDA course from me with this exact problem.
First, for you, MR US Citizen, get an OK SDA permit if you want to have a loaded gun in a vehicle. Period.
Second, for MRS not a citizen but legal resident, OK will NOT issue her a carry license, BUT will recognize a valid license from any state that issues non-resident licenses to any legal resident. Arizona, for one.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf Get a non-resident license from another state.

Without a valid permit, a firearm in OK must be IN PLAIN VIEW and UNLOADED in a vehicle. You can rubberband a loaded magazine to the grip of an empty semi-auto, and toss it on the seat, but you cannot conceal it when transporting. When you stop at your destination, than conceal it so it can't be seen and stolen.

noob2013

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
CWL - similar to Conceal Cary License / Weapon (CCW)?
If yes, then, yes, I can get the license but my wife can't due to her PR status.

ConstitutionCowboy: Yes, she's PR / green card holder and legal resident of OK.

Without a valid permit, a firearm in OK must be IN PLAIN VIEW and UNLOADED in a vehicle. You can rubberband a loaded magazine to the grip of an empty semi-auto, and toss it on the seat, but you cannot conceal it when transporting.
Plain view? So, the trunk of the car is a no-no? Hmm .. I would have thought differently. Thank you so much for the info.
Are you offering SDA course here in OKC?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies.
CWL - similar to Conceal Cary License / Weapon (CCW)?
If yes, then, yes, I can get the license but my wife can't due to her PR status.

ConstitutionCowboy: Yes, she's PR / green card holder and legal resident of OK.

Plain view? So, the trunk of the car is a no-no? Hmm .. I would have thought differently. Thank you so much for the info.
Are you offering SDA course here in OKC?

Oklahoma technically no longer has a "concealed carry" license. It is a Handgun License, valid for concealed or unconcealed carry. The initialisms listed are carryovers from days past.

Per the link provided...

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma technically no longer has a "concealed carry" license. It is a Handgun License, valid for concealed or unconcealed carry. The initialisms listed are carryovers from days past.

Per the link provided...

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Not really that's not worded properly, we don't require a handgun license for a person to own or safely transport handguns within the applicable legal stipulations ....what we have now is an Oklahoma handgun "carry" license valid for concealed or open carry of a loaded firearm on your person or vehicle within the applicable legal stipulations.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Umm... that isn't true, you realize that, right? Or you just being funny?
No, I'm not kidding. "permanent" resident green card holders still have to renew their visas'. I know this because my grand mother is a British citizen and a resident green card holder. She was almost deported 4 years ago because she forgot to mail her renewal. It cost her a SH*T load in legal fees to get it taken care of.

If The woman in question has a resident visa because she is married, That might be a different story. But its my understanding tthat if she divorces and has no children born in the US, and doesn't become a citizen then her visa must be renewed every 10 years

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not really that's not worded properly, we don't require a handgun license for a person to own or safely transport handguns within the applicable legal stipulations ....what we have now is an Oklahoma handgun "carry" license valid for concealed or open carry of a loaded firearm on your person or vehicle within the applicable legal stipulations.

Not worded properly? lol There's always someone...

"we don't require a handgun license for a person to own or safely transport handguns within the applicable legal stipulations"
WTF are you talking about? Never brought that up, so how was anything incorrectly worded?

"what we have now is an Oklahoma handgun "carry" license valid for concealed or open carry of a loaded firearm on your person or vehicle within the applicable legal stipulations"
What we have according to the SDA document is a Handgun License. What I said was correct.

Thanks for your not so "correctly worded" contribution professor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom