OK Laws - Guns in Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not worded properly? lol There's always someone...

"we don't require a handgun license for a person to own or safely transport handguns within the applicable legal stipulations"
WTF are you talking about? Never brought that up, so how was anything incorrectly worded?

"what we have now is an Oklahoma handgun "carry" license valid for concealed or open carry of a loaded firearm on your person or vehicle within the applicable legal stipulations"
What we have according to the SDA document is a Handgun License. What I said was correct.

Thanks for your not so "correctly worded" contribution professor.

Lol, a handgun license could lead people to believe they need a license to own a handgun......that's all I was saying

The website refers to it frequently as an SDA license , but I believe the functional word here should be "carry" license since this is the primary reason we all have one , so we can carry it? Would you agree or disagree?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, a handgun license could lead people to believe they need a license to own a handgun......that's all I was saying

The website refers to it frequently as an SDA license , but I believe the functional word here should be "carry" license since this is the primary reason we all have one , so we can carry it? Would you agree or disagree?

I wouldn't necessarily disagree, but you would have to ask the OK Legislature about the wording. IIRC it has always been called a handgun license, either a "concealed handgun license", or just "handgun license" as amended in 2012.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Without a valid permit, a firearm in OK must be IN PLAIN VIEW and UNLOADED in a vehicle. You can rubberband a loaded magazine to the grip of an empty semi-auto, and toss it on the seat, but you cannot conceal it when transporting. When you stop at your destination, than conceal it so it can't be seen and stolen.

Plain view? So, the trunk of the car is a no-no? Hmm .. I would have thought differently. Thank you so much for the info.
Are you offering SDA course here in OKC?

The legal definition of "in plain view" is not intuitive here.

The gun may be in a gun case and in the trunk and still be considered open and in plain view. It can be in a case on the seat too. It doesn't have to be sitting on the front seat uncased, but it may be.

A non permit holder may also conceal a rifle or shotgun, unloaded, concealed behind a seat.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, I'm not kidding. "permanent" resident green card holders still have to renew their visas'. I know this because my grand mother is a British citizen and a resident green card holder. She was almost deported 4 years ago because she forgot to mail her renewal. It cost her a SH*T load in legal fees to get it taken care of.

If The woman in question has a resident visa because she is married, That might be a different story. But its my understanding tthat if she divorces and has no children born in the US, and doesn't become a citizen then her visa must be renewed every 10 years

Ummm... you're conflating "visa" and permanent resident status. Permanent residents don't need any visa. They are resident aliens and free to come and go within the US without any restrictions.

Marriage has nothing to do with it. Married or not, there are conditions that have to be met, yes. You have to renew your green card every 10 years, yes. If you leave the US for too long without having come back at all, you can be considered to have "abandoned" your status. But once you become a permanent resident, whether you have kids or are married or whatever means nothing. All you have to do is follow the rules and renew your card. Maybe it's just the way I read it, I dunno, your statement to me sounded like if she wasn't married, her status would be revoked and she would be deported. Maybe that's a big stretch from that simple statement, I don't know.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The legal definition of "in plain view" is not intuitive here.

The gun may be in a gun case and in the trunk and still be considered open and in plain view. It can be in a case on the seat too. It doesn't have to be sitting on the front seat uncased, but it may be.

A non permit holder may also conceal a rifle or shotgun, unloaded, concealed behind a seat.
You cannot legally conceal a long gun in a vehicle

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ummm... you're conflating "visa" and permanent resident status. Permanent residents don't need any visa. They are resident aliens and free to come and go within the US without any restrictions.

Marriage has nothing to do with it. Married or not, there are conditions that have to be met, yes. You have to renew your green card every 10 years, yes. If you leave the US for too long without having come back at all, you can be considered to have "abandoned" your status. But once you become a permanent resident, whether you have kids or are married or whatever means nothing. All you have to do is follow the rules and renew your card. Maybe it's just the way I read it, I dunno, your statement to me sounded like if she wasn't married, her status would be revoked and she would be deported. Maybe that's a big stretch from that simple statement, I don't know.
Your right, a resident visa isn't affected by divorce. Where divorce does apply is if the original visa is for work or student (or other). If the alien in question, gets divorced before they have their green card (resident visa) in hand, they must leave the country.

In any case, my point was, there is no such thing as a "permanent" resident visa. It has become to be called that, but it isn't permanent. Failure to renew, regardless of marital status can get you deported.

Latest posts

Top Bottom