OK Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Wing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone seeing any seeking and chasing yet? I have not seen any of that in central OK. There is a big field just North of Will Rodgers that I drive past daily and it is almost always full of deer at sunup and sundown. This time of year I pull off the highway (and hope some fool texting and driving doesn't plow into the back of me) to glass the field for a bit to get a feel for what the deer are doing. Insanely jealous of those of you who just walk out your back door to do the same.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No chasing yet but I am starting to get early morning daylight photos of a few bucks. Movement is incredibly slow, but the front that came through yesterday will change that I hope. Reports from most reputable sources (field and stream, whitetails forever etc..) are estimating peak rut this coming week in OK.

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My step son is currently on stand in the hominy area at MCAAP. He said the rut is on bigtime there right now. He said he has never seen better rutting activity. I'm heading out west in a couple hours. I'd be happy to just see a deer

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
In my area I would say "up and moving" some. Zero road kill spotted yet, bucks still seem to be visiting scrapes just like the last couple of weeks, sometimes in the day, some times at night. I have had a few pics of blurred bucks like they may be chasing something, but overall, I'm going to say it isn't happening yet. Give it another week. Back in the day, black powder and rifle used to alternate each year, and the week before Thanksgiving week was closed to all hunting. That was the week, and still is the week IMO when most of the breeding is done. So the two weeks before that should be peak seeking, wandering, etc.

So they closed that week, stopped having rifle season prior to breeding every other year, enabled breeding to take place and it worked as far as building the population. Now if we could just get rifle moved to December....................................................................... :)

ImTheDude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone seeing any seeking and chasing yet? I have not seen any of that in central OK. There is a big field just North of Will Rodgers that I drive past daily and it is almost always full of deer at sunup and sundown. This time of year I pull off the highway (and hope some fool texting and driving doesn't plow into the back of me) to glass the field for a bit to get a feel for what the deer are doing. Insanely jealous of those of you who just walk out your back door to do the same.
I lost count at 40 when I drove by that field a few weeks ago just before sundown.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No mature bucks in the daylight in my area. Some young bucks harassing some doe. Daytime movement has slowed period where I'm hunting after the front came through. Was seeing more deer when it was 80 high and 60s low than I have the last couple days.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got out of the truck, and in just over 500 miles today, I didn't see a single deer and can count the road kills on one hand (all were on the south end).

I did get a decent 4 year old 9 point I've been watching all fall in the daylight this evening, but other than a couple spikes, all the buck activity is at night.

I've got a lot of work to get done in a short amount of time, so I won't be hunting in the morning but probably will tomorrow evening, Sunday, and maybe Monday morning.

Latest posts

Top Bottom