OK Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacque1282

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chasing is starting in nw oklahoma. I suspect it will be full tilt by this weekend. It will be interesting to see what the warmer weather does...
I was hoping to hear that it had started up there. I am trekking to Woods county Friday night for my annual deer camp. I was worried that the 80 degree day today would stall it but Saturday morning is looking good weather wise so far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got in the stand about 3pm. Had a short tailed mountain lion come out of the finger of woods I'm sitting on about 30 minutes before dark.
Then some does came out to the feeder, milling around nervously because the wind was swirling. They kept looking at me, but stayed in the area.
It was after legal shooting time, and I was pinned in the stand waiting on them to leave when a giant buck came through the woods. He stopped under a small tree and worked a scrape. I couldn't see the body but I could see the white tips of the antlers as he worked the scrape in the dark. Lots of tips, and very wide. I'm excited.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was hoping to hear that it had started up there. I am trekking to Woods county Friday night for my annual deer camp. I was worried that the 80 degree day today would stall it but Saturday morning is looking good weather wise so far.

You and I both know that Woods county is magic no matter the weather this time of the year :)

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was out all day yesterday. Didn't see one deer, except the doe walking in the middle of the road on the way to the hunting property. It was very foggy and we were driving slow so we didn't hit it. I shot a good size Buck on Friday, but since then, the deer have been scarce. Hoping it turns around in the next couple days. With the colder weather coming in, Saturday may be a good day for the rifle hunters.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hunt north of Cheyenne and South of Sayre. South of sayre the rut is rocking and rolling. Have rattled up nearly 20 bucks over the last several evenings. Now the places north of Cheyenne have just been business as usual. The believe it is due to the severely out of whack sex ratio in the area I hunt south of sayre. Who knows. I've been scratching my head all week.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of little bucks cruising now.
I got my first really nice buck on camera yesterday since my daughter killed hers, but another trip up to hunt isn't looking too likely.

On a positive note, my work has really picked up, and business always comes before pleasure.:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0129.JPG
    IMG_0129.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 155

Latest posts

Top Bottom