OK Rut Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had bucks all over today. 6 in sight at one time. Two tending does, the rest moving through a milo field. Had two shooter bucks come to my feeder, but I didn't pull the trigger. First one had amazing palmation but short tines coming from the palmation. I named him bullwinkle. Second buck had amazing mass from the skull to the tip of the antlers, yet short tines.
Thought he might be better next year, but when he walked I saw the pot belly, sway back, and the grey muzzle. Old fella. Should have taken him. Just wasn't outside the ears that much to get me excited, and there was a really big 10 point in the neighbors milo field that kept circling a buck tending a doe. Thought I might see a fight, but the big guy walked off.
This evening had 6 does coming toward me in the milo field early. Just before they got on my side, that big 10 came out of the tree's stiff legged and chased all of them to the other side of the neighbors. Best day I've had in the field to see bucks this year.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing again today. Gonna sit on another part of my lease tomorrow. Only hunting afternoons. Nothing on trailcams in shooting light for last 3 days. Buddy of mine 2 miles west of me missed a wallhanger that was already on the food plot when he walked in at 4:00. His was the only shot I heard today.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had the big 10 I've been waiting on at the feeder at 6:44 this morning. Legal time 6:52. He wandered off before legal time. Frustrating. Only see him before or after legal shooting hours.
This evening had the Bullwinkle buck come in right at dark thirty. Had to hang out in the stand for awhile before he wandered off.
Saw a little chasing today, but it seems to be slowing down. The bigger bucks don't seem interested in does, but the little bucks are still chasing hard.
Read a comment from another member on another hunting forum today that said alot.
The big bucks were back to feeding in his area as they don't normally feed while in rut. That's a pretty good sign the rut is winding down, and a great opportunity for a hunter on a food plot, food source or feeder to score a nice buck.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
that's what i'm thinking. i had two 8 pointers travelling together on opening day of gun. so,it may be the tail end of the original. only the deer know, i wish they'd tell me!

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that's what i'm thinking. i had two 8 pointers travelling together on opening day of gun. so,it may be the tail end of the original. only the deer know, i wish they'd tell me!
I can't ever seem to get close enough to ask. . . It's like they're afraid we're gonna kill 'em or something! Sheesh! Paranoids!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting characters on cam this week. Tank girl, I've not seen all year, but showed up this week. I've got pics of her since 2009, and she looks just like this then. She's missing most of her tail and pretty recognizable. Second pic, I've not seen any of these bucks this year.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IMG_0293_zpslehe50hp.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IMG_0225_zps7y52qrm4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom