OK Tag Agencies are Changing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Article: Service Oklahoma To Begin Managing Tag Agencies Next Month

Does anyone know if this is going to have any real impact on tag agencies? In general I have found them to offer quick service and I've rarely had to wait. Fuson in Norman has been my go-to for a while and they also have a post office inside which is handy at times.

I really hope this doesn't make them become more like how DMVs are depicted in other states.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Typical "news" article. Poorly written, with very little information.

What is Service Oklahoma?
What changes does SC intend to make?
How will this impact the average person?

My feeling is that this will be a normal Govt takeover: take something that works okay - not real well, just okay - and completely destroy it.
Using taxpayer money.

Also, until something is done about the fiasco that is Commercial Licensing, I'm not impressed.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Service Oklahoma was started in May 2022 by the state legislature to provide driver and motor vehicle services on behalf of the state. (From the govt website.)

From the OP: When asked how many of the 200+ tag agencies are not in compliance, an OTC spokesperson said they forwarded the question to Service Oklahoma. Doyle said he did not know how many agencies are not in good standing with the agency.

One tag agent in the Tulsa area, who wished to not be identified due to fear of retaliation, said she fears losing her ability to offer services because of her status with the OTC.

She claims that the OTC considers her agency out of compliance and that she disagrees.

Sounds like typical govt interference in order to put nieces and nephews on the bureaucratic payroll.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Service Oklahoma was started in May 2022 by the state legislature to provide driver and motor vehicle services on behalf of the state. (From the govt website.)
So, our glorious Oklahoma tax and spend Republicans have added "pro big government" to their list of attributes.

We had a system that worked reasonably well for car-related business, and the state managed to screw it up so badly that they had to open big temporary service centers in OKC and Tulsa, so their solution is to keep on fixing it with a new agency?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
The two closest tag agencies to me are in Enid, both are okay and seem to know what they're doing. When the new driver's licenses rolled out, the one tag agency had to change hours in which they could handle new DL because of the inefficiency of the state computer system. They even posted a sign explaining what was going to prevent some customer frustration.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The two closest tag agencies to me are in Enid, both are okay and seem to know what they're doing. When the new driver's licenses rolled out, the one tag agency had to change hours in which they could handle new DL because of the inefficiency of the state computer system. They even posted a sign explaining what was going to prevent some customer frustration.
I remember dealing with stuff like this related to the DoD DEERS system. Every office across the country used it and you never knew when it would just stop working. Had to make multiple visits to get IDs updated because of it. Thankfully it hasn't happened in a while when we had to get new IDs.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great.

It was taking OTC 12 weeks to turn titles around.

I spent 2 entire days just adding a motorcycle endorsement to my license. Not take the driving test, just the eye test, but couldn't be done at a tag office. Spent a day at the Hinton office, then 30 minutes before their closing time they kicked me and one other party out because they didn't have time to do it that day. Went to Chickasha and got it done the next day, finally.

So, yeah, can't wait to see that efficiency spread even more.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That in bold letters:

Let me add to the concern. Service Oklahoma is a new branch of the Office of Management and Enterprise Services. That OMES (wife pronounces it oh-mess) is the agency that came about when the state decided to consolidate the IT divisions of all the agencies into one agency instead of each agency having their own It divisions.

In honesty, the consolidation didn't really work well, and with the screw-up of purchasing through them and "State Finance," the wife decided to retire early. She had initially told her boss that she would stay until she was 65, but "they" messed up the process of bidding and purchasing to the point that she couldn't get anything done efficiently, so she retired at 62. (Her boss went from the OSBI to be the head over the state law enforcement agencies at OMES, so she became the "interim" OSBI director of IT.)

Now, with all that said, OMES is largely loaded with IT people, so time will tell whether they can do a better job of maintaining the computer systems for the licensing and tag agency system than what the DMV and Oklahoma Tax Commission did.

On another note, OMES also farmed out some services for the state to a non state company. (At the moment, the name of that company escapes my memory, but it is in a building out near West Reno near either Morgan Road or Sara Road. Some years back that building was started by a fiber optic company that quit the building when it was still just a skeleton of a building, and this new company took up the property and finished the building and moved in.

EDIT: The company taking some of the work from the state is NTT Data near Sara Road and W. Reno. If I remember right, they have taken over the technical support for laptops and desktops for the state.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom