OKC AR barrel cutting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For an AR.... Honestly I would say just rebarrel it. Unless it's some super special barrel for an odball caliber that you have a ton of money in to it's too easy to just get the length you are wanting and swap them out. Sell the old one and recoup part of the cost. My guess is it will end up being cheaper than having someone cut the old one and less likely to have issues due to threading or crown being off.

If it were any other caliber I would. I built a 12” 308 and only companies I found making them were Aero/BA and CMMG. Both barrels were close to $250. I was hoping to save money by purchasing a sub $100 16” barrel with the right gas system/twist and having it cut. Most places I checked wanted $150-200 to cut the barrel so I just bit the bullet and got a nicer barrel instead of trying to save less than $50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have cut barrels they are quite soft. If you have a disc sander like a table top type with a rest in front of it you can roll the barrel on the rest and against the sanding disc and get it really flat.
I took a tubing cutter to my 308 barrel to mark a line all the way around the barrel.
Then new hacksaw blade to cutt it leaving just a tiny bit of the scribe mark. then hand file to the point of just touching the scribe mark.
Then roll on platform for disc sander.
Shot a bit better than what it had from the factory.
Then I crowned it with 11 degree brownell tool.
Shot a wee bit better still.
Never threaded one though.
I have 4 guns with threaded barrels and if i run a brake or flashhider on them carbon builds on the muzzle face/crown and after a few shots accuracy drops off.
So I run nothing on them and Never will.
I like my accuracy.

Are you just wanting a shorter barrel or are you fixing a messed up crown?

Latest posts

Top Bottom