OKC Gun Club Annual Picnic - Saturday, 4 May

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picnic was crowded this year! I got there a little after 1130 and the place was already packed! I had to struggle to make it to the table to drop off my Coleslaw Macaroni Salad. Burgers, dogs and bratwurst were awesome. I was a little disappointed to see several people doubling up on hamburger patties though ...

Got to talk with Mark Vaughan, one the newest NRA Board Members. Mark spoke at the leadership forum in Indianapolis during President Trump's appearance.

Mark is my uncle, he and I ran the picnic. He's current VP, and has served as President of the club in the past as well, been on the board as long as I can remember. We had 20% + more food than last year. I was so busy I never got to eat since it ran out so quick, and I do think I will address some of that stuff next year. We are talking about making some changes making it more accommodating and giving us more room, like maybe the new pavilion next year. I have been helping him about 5 years or so now and it is definitely the busiest I have seen and most can remember. My son was the one who delivered the pledge. He loves going up there.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Picnic was crowded this year! I got there a little after 1130 and the place was already packed! I had to struggle to make it to the table to drop off my Coleslaw Macaroni Salad. Burgers, dogs and bratwurst were awesome. I was a little disappointed to see several people doubling up on hamburger patties though ...

Got to talk with Mark Vaughan, one the newest NRA Board Members. Mark spoke at the leadership forum in Indianapolis during President Trump's appearance.
The club is lucky to have a guy like Mark associated with us. Speaking of that, does any know Darren DeLong personally? It would be great to have him as a member too. I goose hunted with him many years ago but he wouldn’t know me from Adam anymore.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The club is lucky to have a guy like Mark associated with us. Speaking of that, does any know Darren DeLong personally? It would be great to have him as a member too. I goose hunted with him many years ago but he wouldn’t know me from Adam anymore.

I've been blessed as he is only my uncle by marriage but has been great to me and my family. He's been around since I was a baby (38 now), and I consider myself lucky as I lost my dad 15 years ago. He's always been there for us. You'll probably never meet a nicer guy. He's been a member of the club since he was 18 and has been a board member, President, and current VP for many, many years.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mark is my uncle, he and I ran the picnic. He's current VP, and has served as President of the club in the past as well, been on the board as long as I can remember. We had 20% + more food than last year. I was so busy I never got to eat since it ran out so quick, and I do think I will address some of that stuff next year. We are talking about making some changes making it more accommodating and giving us more room, like maybe the new pavilion next year. I have been helping him about 5 years or so now and it is definitely the busiest I have seen and most can remember. My son was the one who delivered the pledge. He loves going up there.

When the time comes, I'll help next year. I have some suggestions on portion control and flow through the tables.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When the time comes, I'll help next year. I have some suggestions on portion control and flow through the tables.

We are considering not using the club house, and using the pavilion and camp grounds if weather permits next year, maybe renting tents. If not, maybe move the serving line outside which should help with the space. I am also gonna bring up using servers like a cafeteria line as well for the entrees to maybe solve that problem, and remind everyone not to get seconds till every ones been served. Its the largest turnout we have ever had. We kept adding tables trying to squeeze more in. Went through 350 burgers, almost as many dogs, and 90 brats, but like you said, when people double up...and I would appreciate help. It counts as your work day as well, so, kill two birds with one stone.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, biggest turnout I’ve seen in years. The food line has to change or we do it outside. We used somebody’s tailgate. Good to see a bunch of peeps that I only see once a year.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the grace period still the same?

Yeah, biggest turnout I’ve seen in years. The food line has to change or we do it outside. We used somebody’s tailgate. Good to see a bunch of peeps that I only see once a year.

Already been discussed, but thankfully the weather was nice this year. I also want to call out Hoov (Village Tactical) for all he does for the club as well.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It should also be a covered dish type meal where people bring a dish to share. Even a slow cooker full of BBQ Little Smokies or BBQ meatballs would help. If doing it outside maybe have a dutch oven cook off at the same time.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It should also be a covered dish type meal where people bring a dish to share. Even a slow cooker full of BBQ Little Smokies or BBQ meatballs would help. If doing it outside maybe have a dutch oven cook off at the same time.

I would like to see some homemade ice cream on the dessert table next year ;-)

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sides and desserts are potluck, we provide meats, buns, condiments, drinks, utensils, and a few things like chips.

Latest posts

Top Bottom