OKC GunDealer Offering Free Background Checks for Armslist Private Sales

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.armslist.com/posts/59230...ale--free-private-sale-background-checks-free

The above link is NOT to a sale but to an info post by Blue Collar tactical offering free background checks for private sellers using Armslist.

I think this is a good idea. I realize it is not to everyone's taste but for those who are a little leery of Armslist deals this will make a lot of sense.

I wish BATFE would go a step further to smooth use of NICS for private sales by eliminating the need to record the firearm serial number and make it a simple

ghostrider

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told by a local gun dealer that this wasn't a good idea. He says for him to do a back ground check like this, he would have to add the items being traded or sold to his inventory then do the NCIS check.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have texted Blue Collar Tactical asking for an explanation of exactly how this works:
- Does the weapon have to be transferred from the sellers possession to the BCT?
- What happens in the event of a deny or delay, i.e. does the weapon have to remain in the possession of BCT pending a successful background check on the original seller?
- The offer as posted was for a free BGC for Armslist sellers. Are they offering the same service for non-Armslist sellers and if so, at what cost?

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It has to be entered in the dealer's bound book. If the transferee doesn't pass, the dealer must do a background check on the transferor to return it to him to clear the arm off his book. If the transferor fails the background check, the transferor must find another buyer, sell or give it to the dealer, or some such. Regardless, it puts the dealer in a bit of a tight spot. The dealer in this case is in the position of holding a gun belonging to a prohibited person. Legally, he should inform law enforcement. He is also holding a gun that a dangerous person would like to have back. Such people usually do not have a conscience and would not hesitate to get their gun back by whatever means.

It's too much of a risk. It would also put a gun that might not be "in the system" back into the system, meaning a form of registration.

Woody

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about having a means to check NCIC for stolen weapons than I am the buyer. A bill of sale protects me unless I knowingly sold to a person not eligible to purchase. What happens if I am in possession of a weapon that turns out stolen? A bill of sale might mitigate my possession of it, but explaining that I bought it at a gun show will take more effort I'm thinking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom