OKC Man Acquitted Of Manslaughter After His Dogs Fatally Attacked An 82-Year-Old Woman

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[begin quote]
An Oklahoma City man was found not guilty of manslaughter after his dogs reportedly killed an 82-year-old woman in 2017.

Antwon Burks was charged with second-degree manslaughter after police said his two dogs attacked and killed Cecille Short and her dog.

Short and her dog were walking in a northwest Oklahoma City neighborhood when two loose dogs attacked them, police said.

The two dogs were traced back to Burks who was not in town at the time of the attack.

Prosecutors said the dogs regularly broke out of the yard and neighbors had complained about the dogs before the attack.

Burks' defense said the dogs did not have an aggressive past. They also said Burks tried to fix a hole in the fence, but he was a renter of the home.
[end quote]

http://www.newson6.com/story/6185b0...-his-dogs-fatally-attacked-an-82yearold-woman

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The life of a 82 year old woman means nothing, do not forget that.

Anyone watch the video of the verdict being read, the judge rushed thru it, read it and just about yelled clear the court room. He sounded scared, like he was afraid.

Well for what ever reason the jury found the verdict they did, the victims family can file a civil suit still.

I do not agree with the verdict.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tough burden of proof for the prosecution. It’s not like the guy was there and failed to restrain his dogs or yelled “sic em”. He was not home. Would I own those dogs or like it if they attacked me? No.

Verdict is probably correct, even if I don’t like it.
I couldn't disagree more. The dogs kept getting out and he didn't do enough to keep them in. He should be charged.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I couldn't disagree more. The dogs kept getting out and he didn't do enough to keep them in. He should be charged.
He did not own the property, so his options as to what to do would have been limited. So, should we hold the landlord responsible? Actually, he WAS charged and was found to not be culpable.
But that’s ok, to disagree. Apparently, the jury saw it differently than your way. The burden of proof is high, as it should be, and it just couldn’t be reached here. Like I said, I don’t like it but it is what it is. That’s why we have a legal system and not a justice system.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He did not own the property, so his options as to what to do would have been limited. So, should we hold the landlord responsible? Actually, he WAS charged and was found to not be culpable.
But that’s ok, to disagree. Apparently, the jury saw it differently than your way. The burden of proof is high, as it should be, and it just couldn’t be reached here. Like I said, I don’t like it but it is what it is. That’s why we have a legal system and not a justice system.
Doesn't matter that he didn't own the property, he is responsible for containing his animals. Being a renter does not absolve you of responsibility. As my step father testified in this case, you will forgive me if I'm a little annoyed at the outcome.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have rented most my life almost 60 and when the landlord wont fix something you take care of it your self. he was responsible for his dogs and should have repaired the containment himself . very weak excuse cost a lady and her dog there lives. retry him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom