OKC PD to sell firearms to FFL’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OKLAHOMA COUNTY - Old, antique guns are up for auction.

The Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department is purging their evidence room.

And, you can get your hands on the guns, but only if you have a federal license.

Over 500 guns gathering dust in evidence will soon be up for auction, and the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department said the money will be put to good use.

“All budgets are tight right now, so this is going to help us,” said Captain Charles Avery with the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Department.

Avery said the shotguns, rifles and handguns were either stolen, seized or never claimed by the owner.

And, none of them were used in crimes.

“Some of these guns have sat down here for almost 50 years, so it's going to allow us to free up some space, it's going to allow us to get room for incoming guns that maybe seized today, tomorrow or so forth. So, it's a win win for everyone across the board," Avery said.

Avery said selling the guns in their property is also rare.

Other departments like Oklahoma City police get rid of the guns by recycling them.

But, to be safe, the auction is not open to the public.

If you want to buy one, you have to have to be a Federal Firearms License holder.

“We strive to make sure that this is done in a proper way,” Avery said. “It's a certification or a license through the United States Government that says you're allowed to sell firearms to the public.”

Avery said, when they recovered guns, they check the national database to find the original owner, but sometimes they don't want them back.

“We've done our duty to make sure that these guns don't belong to anyone, so that situation doesn’t present itself or someone sees a gun and says, well, that's my gun,” he said.

Beware, if you just show up, you won't be able to participate in the auction. You must call ahead.

“If you are an FFL holder, to reach out to the sheriff's department prior to the day of the event, and they have a log of who's coming that allows us to verify that their FFL is active and then they can get a bid,” Avery said.

The auction is March 12 through the 14 at the former Nicoma Park Elementary School gym.

You can only pay with cash, money orders, or a cashiers or business check.

https://kfor.com/2019/03/04/oklahom...room-selling-guns-to-federal-license-holders/

What hogwash! The dealers will give them pennies on the dollar and triple their money at gun shows.
To me, it appears someone’s in-laws are in the secondary firearm business and getting their palm greased.
The guns could be sold at auction with FFL on site and the PD would make much more money and the resident FFL would assure the guns go to the new legal owner.
This is a bull crap deal. It stinks.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

And, you can get your hands on the guns, but only if you have a federal license.

Over 500 guns gathering dust in evidence will soon be up for auction, and the Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department said the money will be put to good use.

“All budgets are tight right now, so this is going to help us,” said Captain Charles Avery with the Oklahoma County Sheriff’s Department.

Avery said the shotguns, rifles and handguns were either stolen, seized or never claimed by the owner.

“Some of these guns have sat down here for almost 50 years, so it's going to allow us to free up some space, it's going to allow us to get room for incoming guns that maybe seized today, tomorrow or so forth. So, it's a win win for everyone across the board," Avery said.

Other departments like Oklahoma City police get rid of the guns by recycling them.

If you want to buy one, you have to have to be a Federal Firearms License holder.

“We strive to make sure that this is done in a proper way,” Avery said. “It's a certification or a license through the United States Government that says you're allowed to sell firearms to the public.”

Avery said, when they recovered guns, they check the national database to find the original owner, but sometimes they don't want them back.

“We've done our duty to make sure that these guns don't belong to anyone, so that situation doesn’t present itself or someone sees a gun and says, well, that's my gun,” he said.

Beware, if you just show up, you won't be able to participate in the auction. You must call ahead.

“If you are an FFL holder, to reach out to the sheriff's department prior to the day of the event, and they have a log of who's coming that allows us to verify that their FFL is active and then they can get a bid,” Avery said.

The auction is March 12 through the 14 at the former Nicoma Park Elementary School gym.

https://kfor.com/2019/03/04/oklahom...room-selling-guns-to-federal-license-holders/

What hogwash! The dealers will give them pennies on the dollar and triple their money at gun shows.
To me, it appears someone’s in-laws are in the secondary firearm business and getting their palm greased.
The guns could be sold at auction with FFL on site and the PD would make much more money and the resident FFL would assure the guns go to the new legal owner.
It's actually the OCSO not OKCPD.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=273543&share_fid=60509&share_type=t

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score

I once bought several guns at a DEA auction and that is what they did there. You filled out the form and got a NICS check just like buying from a dealer.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pick me up a nice 3.5 inch Model 27 will ya?

upload_2019-3-4_21-10-4.png

One of these will do nicely.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having it in Nicoma Park Elementary School gym. It does say former. Is the school closed?

Just another example of the protected class of gun owners that us common folk don't get to enjoy.
Why not have it at a table outside of the evidence room where the brother in law of the evidence locker supervisor is employed?

Yes, I'm pissed at this law where lawyers, judges, government official and county folks that are designated can carry where us common folks can't.
They are no better than we are, but evidently they think they are.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Completely agree. It should be open to the public with FFLs on site. If you win and you’re not an FFL, you must transfer through FFL upon purchase. If this is truly about liquidating assets to add money to the budget, why wouldn’t they try to maximize the yeild? I typically do not go to firearm auctions or get excited when firearms are part of an auction because often they sell for much more than they are worth.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Completely agree. It should be open to the public with FFLs on site. If you win and you’re not an FFL, you must transfer through FFL upon purchase. If this is truly about liquidating assets to add money to the budget, why wouldn’t they try to maximize the yeild? I typically do not go to firearm auctions or get excited when firearms are part of an auction because often they sell for much more than they are worth.

Exactly. Every gun auction I've ever been to, the guns have gone at new or just under new pricing no matter if they are junk.
This entire deal stinks of collusion and I'd like to know how to reach someone to disagree with this and get it changed to a public auction.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I typically do not go to firearm auctions or get excited when firearms are part of an auction because often they sell for much more than they are worth.

Exactly. Every gun auction I've ever been to, the guns have gone at new or just under new pricing no matter if they are junk.

This has been my experience at every gun auction I ever attended except for the DEA auction I mentioned above.

I only stopped by because I was near there checking out a new gun shop. There were hundreds of guns and a lot of buyers including many dealers.

I left there with a half dozen or so handguns that went for less than what the market price was at the time. I was glad that I showed up with a pocket full of money for that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom