OKC Ranked #2 Best BBQ City In USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunblinder

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please point a former Texas guy to some good que! Not going to lie, have not found one yet but always looking. I’ve tried the chains around here and I’m hoping that’s not the best around. Also, a little off BBQ, where can I get SPICY fried catfish?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We ate Bad Brads in Yukon once... It wasn't nearly as good as the Pawhuska joint.

Swadley's was good, nobody told me how hot the hot sauce was.

Leos was dang good too.

Truth be told, it's hard to find good BBQ that can stack with the BBQ I grew up with. Even as good as Franklin and Underwood BBQ was, it'll never be Dougan's. I still kick my own *** on a weekly basis for not buying that place and letting Paul teach me how to cook his BBQ... but I was young and couldn't wait to leave the nest.
Yep, Dugan's was awesome. Had he went national, it would have been successful.
Paul died a year or so ago. He won the BBQ grand championship two or three times under Danny Heads name.
Danny Head for those that don't know makes Head Country BBQ sauce from an old family recipe.
The sauce business has sold but Danny still owns Danny's place in Ponca serving great BBQ every day.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, I'll be honest. I love Danny's bbq, but the last few trips up there the brisket has been dry and tough. Hope he pulls that smoker together before people start eating more next door.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I'll be honest. I love Danny's bbq, but the last few trips up there the brisket has been dry and tough. Hope he pulls that smoker together before people start eating more next door.
I ate there recently. You must have had a bad day for them or something. Mine has always been fork tender. I get the sampler plate with a selection of everything.
Rib crib next door sucks big time. I won't eat there.
The last time we did the ribs "falling off the bone" had been cooked, frozen, reheated and were freezer burned. Nasty stuff.
Ribs need to have a little "bite" to them but come cleanly off the bone. Not pulled pork where the bones are just laid into a mess of meat.
The only thing I'll eat at rib crib when the "boys" lunch we have weekly at different restaurants happens is the wrap with pulled pork. Nothing else on their menu appeals to me. I can't believe they are still in business.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
New Orleans? :scratch:

I kind of enjoyed Rudy’s in OKC. Went to a Buc’ees in Alabama and got there when they were making some sliced brisket sammiches, and they weren’t half bad either.

I know the Tulsa folks think Burn Co is great, they were good when they first opened, but they are mediocre at best now. Their ribs are good, but overpriced.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ate there recently. You must have had a bad day for them or something. Mine has always been fork tender. I get the sampler plate with a selection of everything.
Rib crib next door sucks big time. I won't eat there.
The last time we did the ribs "falling off the bone" had been cooked, frozen, reheated and were freezer burned. Nasty stuff.
Ribs need to have a little "bite" to them but come cleanly off the bone. Not pulled pork where the bones are just laid into a mess of meat.
The only thing I'll eat at rib crib when the "boys" lunch we have weekly at different restaurants happens is the wrap with pulled pork. Nothing else on their menu appeals to me. I can't believe they are still in business.

Yep. Pressure cooked ribs are the worst. Their links and chicken aren't half bad when they're good. I have some buddies that eat there often too. Trouble is, there's just not any good BBQ in Lawton, so rib crib is the only minimally acceptable place.

Supposed to be a good smokehouse in Elgin, but haven't made that drive up there yet.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're ever around Shawnee way and have a hankering for bbq try Robb's Smokehouse. It is light years better than that pig stand place.

It's nothing fancy by any means but it has some of the best bbq I've had anywhere.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The funny thing about barbecue, more than any other kind of food I can think of....

You name any place that serves it...

One guy says it's the best place EVAR...! The next guy says it stinks. :rollingla

Latest posts

Top Bottom