OKC Ranked #2 Best BBQ City In USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I only eat ribs (pork or beef), hot links, and burnt ends.

we eat no bawbs a lot because it’s close. Love the ribs, the burnt ends are hit or miss. Sides are ok.

I like Clark crew, ribs and burnt ends, sides are killer, as Is the price.

I’ve liked everything I’ve tried at butcher bbq, with the exception of the apple pie baked beans. They are way to freaking sweet.

went to Rudy’s once. It was awful. The middle of my bbq was ice cold. Um, no thanks.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smokin Joe’s in Davis is the best BBQ I have ever eaten. My goodness it was so good. I can’t wait to go back there. If you ever do you need to get the baked potato they have. It was unbelievable. Butcher block in Wellston won the best in the nation a couple years back. I heard it is amazing as well.

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Smokin Joe’s in Davis is the best BBQ I have ever eaten. My goodness it was so good. I can’t wait to go back there. If you ever do you need to get the baked potato they have. It was unbelievable. Butcher block in Wellston won the best in the nation a couple years back. I heard it is amazing as well.

I'll second Smokin Joe's is the best, but Smokehouse in Sulphur is darn good for carry out. Also, Trails End in Wynnewood get honorable mention.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I judge a bbq place by it's ribs. I heard how great Butcher BBQ was so I got a slab to go.

The ribs had a glaze of their bbq sauce on them which is normally okay with me, Famous Dave's in KC does their ribs this way, but the sauce at Butcher's is SO sweet that it ruined the ribs for me.

I guess a lot of people like very sweet bbq but it's not for me. I haven't been back.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like sweet bbq either. There's only two acceptable bbq sauces in this world. Head Country Hickory and Head Country Hot. I dig their sugar free too, but it still leans sweet. The problem with most is tasting ketchup among brown sugar, as if ketchup wasn't already loaded with sugar. It's just bad.

I like to smoke and bark up a good bologna, slice it real thin, toss it in cheap white bread with a squirt of hot bbq sauce and a slice of good old American cheese. Tastes like the good old days.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I judge a bbq place by it's ribs. I heard how great Butcher BBQ was so I got a slab to go.

The ribs had a glaze of their bbq sauce on them which is normally okay with me, Famous Dave's in KC does their ribs this way, but the sauce at Butcher's is SO sweet that it ruined the ribs for me.

I guess a lot of people like very sweet bbq but it's not for me. I haven't been back.
Sweet with pork is very common. Like it with pork, hate it with beef.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to smoke and bark up a good bologna, slice it real thin, toss it in cheap white bread with a squirt of hot bbq sauce and a slice of good old American cheese. Tastes like the good old days.

Oh that sounds pretty good... although I'd do thin bologna and yellow mustard with a little not-too-sweet BBQ sauce and a slice of white onion. Yum. I don't even need the cheese. I think I want it on a kaiser roll or a brioche bun or something - if I stack more than a couple thin pieces of meat, or put much mustard or sauce on it, the ol' Wonder bread style white bread is too soft, it just doesn't hold up to a man's sammich.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had Jake's yesterday, it's always good. Roy's used to be good but the last couple times I went there it was terrible, brisket tasted like it was out of a crock pot and not even smoked, and it's not cheap either. You get a lot more for your money at Jake's.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Gates BBQ Sauce is not sweet, but I think one has to order it online. Walmart used to carry it, but no more. A former co-worker hailed from Kansas City and every time she went home to visit her mom, she brought back some Gates. The wife tried it and liked it because it wasn't sweet. Just be sure and get the "Original." They do make a version that is sweet.

81T1YZ7LHdL.jpg

Cpshooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dickies, Rudys, and Bucees has to be dragging Texas bbq down. ;)

My favorite OKC bbq joints ranked....

Leos
Clark Crew BBQ
Georges Whole Hog
Jacks
Vans Pig Stand
Bad Brads
Jo Bawbs
Kings
Double D's
Swadleys
Bedlam