OKC Ranked #2 Best BBQ City In USA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like to smoke and bark up a good bologna, slice it real thin, toss it in cheap white bread with a squirt of hot bbq sauce and a slice of good old American cheese. Tastes like the good old days.

My Dad always said that if bologna was on the menu, you're usually gonna get some good BBQ no matter what you order.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Gates BBQ Sauce is not sweet, but I think one has to order it online. Walmart used to carry it, but no more. A former co-worker hailed from Kansas City and every time she went home to visit her mom, she brought back some Gates. The wife tried it and liked it because it wasn't sweet. Just be sure and get the "Original." They do make a version that is sweet.

81T1YZ7LHdL.jpg
There are several bbq sauces that aren't too sweet for me.

The stuff at Butcher BBQ wasn't your normally sweet bbq sauce. It's like they added a few cups of white sugar to it sweet. Candy sweet.

I have access to the recipe for the best bbq sauce I've ever tasted. An older friend of mine that passed away recently got the recipe from a woman that had a bbq place in the SE part of the state when he was young.

That old woman made him promise to never share the recipe as long as he was alive. He never did, but he passed it on to me upon his death.

I plan to start making it again before too long but I have to find a local commercial kitchen that will sell me some time to cook it up if I want to sell any of it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like sweet bbq either. There's only two acceptable bbq sauces in this world. Head Country Hickory and Head Country Hot. I dig their sugar free too, but it still leans sweet. The problem with most is tasting ketchup among brown sugar, as if ketchup wasn't already loaded with sugar. It's just bad.

I like to smoke and bark up a good bologna, slice it real thin, toss it in cheap white bread with a squirt of hot bbq sauce and a slice of good old American cheese. Tastes like the good old days.

Head Country is about all we buy. Your selections are ours as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh that sounds pretty good... although I'd do thin bologna and yellow mustard with a little not-too-sweet BBQ sauce and a slice of white onion. Yum. I don't even need the cheese. I think I want it on a kaiser roll or a brioche bun or something - if I stack more than a couple thin pieces of meat, or put much mustard or sauce on it, the ol' Wonder bread style white bread is too soft, it just doesn't hold up to a man's sammich.

I’ve gone to using thins for sandwiches and buns.
Even when making burgers, I’m not a huge bread fan so these fit the bill well and are able to stand up to Dagwood style sammiches.

IMG_2503.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Head country uses high fructose corn syrup in their smaller bottles. Gallons at Sam's does not, at least the last one i picked up. Sorry, but I am a NO high fuctose syrup kinda guy. Drives my wife crazy, but no way no how.
I'm a ingredients label reader and if u can't put the good stuff in, I'm out.

Where can u get brisket with bark?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Head country uses high fructose corn syrup in their smaller bottles. Gallons at Sam's does not, at least the last one i picked up. Sorry, but I am a NO high fuctose syrup kinda guy. Drives my wife crazy, but no way no how.

My house. This weekend. :D

I've got a Costco Prime that's been cryovac wet-aging for about 8 or 9 weeks in the fridge. Gonna fire up the smoker this weekend for it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The original formula for head country didn’t use high fructose sugar.
Danny Head retired and sold to relatives.
They changed the recipe.
We don’t eat much bbq sauce or processed foods so a little of that won’t bother us I suspect.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
The original formula for head country didn’t use high fructose sugar.
Danny Head retired and sold to relatives.
They changed the recipe.
We don’t eat much bbq sauce or processed foods so a little of that won’t bother us I suspect.

He is a good guy... I took care of him once and he gave me a card for "free meals" at the restaurant. lol. He wrote that on there and signed it. Pretty cool, but I never took advantage and used it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom