OKCGC pistol range upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent news! Glad to hear they are leaving targets out on the range. It will require maintenance though. The idiots will bring steel core and other ammo that will damage the steel. Someone will get tired of fixing them and it will get back to a bare range like in the past.
It's always a fight between erosion and renewal. Makes it harder when people are making it worse, but maybe people will step up and help more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's always a fight between erosion and renewal. Makes it harder when people are making it worse, but maybe people will step up and help more.
You always hope that's the case but the opposite is typically the norm. People think someone else will step up and they won't have to while taking advantage of the range.
I used to shoot a lot of steel challenge and USPSA at the OKC gun range. When first starting we used the cowboys range where steel targets were left on the range. I saw lots of damage to those targets by people using rifle ammo on the soft steel targets designed for shotgun and puny cowboy rounds. 5.56 cases left on the ground as proof.
Later after the USPSA ranges were built, they were left bare. You had to bring a target and stand if a member.

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wondered what the deal with that was over on the east side. It's bring your own targets then over there? I have the hang of the plinking range, the benchrest, and I think I know how things work at the steel challenge area. I took the safety brief at the high power, but have yet to shoot on it in a match or practice. Hopefully when things start up again I will give that a shot and see if I can't better my pizza box score from decades ago. I also want to at least go watch a handgun competition over on the east side to see how things work.

As far as helping out goes, I think it is probably tough to get people out for a whole day. Maybe easier for a couple hours or 4.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wondered what the deal with that was over on the east side. It's bring your own targets then over there? I have the hang of the plinking range, the benchrest, and I think I know how things work at the steel challenge area. I took the safety brief at the high power, but have yet to shoot on it in a match or practice. Hopefully when things start up again I will give that a shot and see if I can't better my pizza box score from decades ago. I also want to at least go watch a handgun competition over on the east side to see how things work.

As far as helping out goes, I think it is probably tough to get people out for a whole day. Maybe easier for a couple hours or 4.
Yes, bring your own targets to the east side. You have to make sure you set them up all the way back by the berms too, to avoid ricochets. It’s a great part of the facility.

panayoti

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the Edmond area. Moved here from Tulsa in December. I was thinking of joining the ok gun club however I see they require you to be an Nra member. I don't care to much for the Nra. They just to make money . Do they enforce this requirement ? I was an Nra member for years.

devildog88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the Edmond area. Moved here from Tulsa in December. I was thinking of joining the ok gun club however I see they require you to be an Nra member. I don't care to much for the Nra. They just to make money . Do they enforce this requirement ? I was an Nra member for years.
I think they just have you put in your number on the application.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The non-political branches of the NRA provide quite a few valuable and necessary services to the dwindling number of outdoor shooting ranges in the country.

https://rangeservices.nra.org/
If you don’t support the NRA, you might be happier finding a club that doesn’t have a relationship with that organization.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some clubs use the NRA for their insurance. It's pretty easy to buy fire and marine floater coverage to handle the structures and the mobile equipment. Directors errors and omissions coverage not hard to buy. The liability insurance for a gun club is considerably harder to acquire, although some commercial insurance sources will make it available.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned above by @SMS, the OKC Gun Club benefits a lot from NRA programs. One example - The OKC Gun Club’s annual Women on Target event (400 plus women shooting rifles, pistols, and shotguns) receives grant money for all the ammunition needed for the day-long event. It’s the largest NRA Women on Target event in the country. The event is open to the general public and fills-up fast.

Latest posts

Top Bottom