Okie muley bucks!...lest hear some stories and see some pics!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. It's hanging on my wall. But I shot it in Colorado. Does that count?????
041.JPG

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t have a pic at the moment as I’m away from the house, but killed a really nice mule deer buck in NW Kay county probably 35 or so years ago. When checking it in, nobody could figure out the weird antlers and Al Gore didn’t have the internet fully functioning yet so we couldn’t look it up.
My Uncle that had hunted in Colorado instantly knew what it was though when he saw the rack weeks later.
I’ve posted pics of it in the past on here.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Many, many years ago (30 or more years ago) I took a small muley buck in north central Woods county. No pics though.
The valley we hunted didn't see much human traffic back then...nobody running cattle and very little oil traffic. Used to see them regularly back then. Then, both ranching and oil activity began to pick up and farming practices changed. Saw fewer and fewer. Haven't seen any there in a good 10 years.

Reaction score
Many, many years ago (30 or more years ago) I took a small muley buck in north central Woods county. No pics though.
The valley we hunted didn't see much human traffic back then...nobody running cattle and very little oil traffic. Used to see them regularly back then. Then, both ranching and oil activity began to pick up and farming practices changed. Saw fewer and fewer. Haven't seen any there in a good 10 years.
I too used to see them in woods county every now and then...pretty random.... but along the Kansas line west of the salt fork river in the gypsum canyons I videotaped 25 muley does and two small bucks sparring...later I spotted a 200” plus in the same spot...he disappeared, and I heard a close land owner found a big muley buck in the ditch with the head cut off...I suspect it was him because he was found found right where I had seen him cross a county road to feed in the neighboring wheat field.

Reaction score
Later oil seismograph trucks surveyed every square inch of woods county followed by massive oilwell traffic and construction, drought, increased hunting pressure, and a spat of blue tounge pretty much destroyed the deer population in nw Oklahoma... it’s bouncing back... but still only around 50 percent of the normal harvest count

Reaction score

Reaction score
How does the deer heard population look in your neck of woods county? I used to hunt it a lot, but gave it a break because I actually felt bad taking a deer there...I harvested a 185” and my partner harvested a 221” . The next year we gave up the lease because oil traffic destroyed the place right in the middle of season...dang shame...it will probably never be the same

Latest posts

Top Bottom