Oklahoma a title holding state again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR18

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Currently on day 42 waiting for my title…… thanks to the dealership for taking there sweet time and USPS loosing it in the system

DB44

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Title paper shortage. Yes, that is a thing. It’s been going on now for a while, but a new vehicle should already have the title from the manufacturer. The paper shortage should only apply after you registered the vehicle. I’m sure they have a new excuse now..

Edit: I guess Oklahoma became a title holding state July 1, 2022.
A new vehicle doesn't have a title, it has a MSO(manufacturers statement of origin)until you go to tag it.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A new vehicle doesn't have a title, it has a MSO(manufacturers statement of origin)until you go to tag it.
Same Difference, I was just trying not to get technical. A used vehicle would have a title bought from a dealership or private party. Buying a kayak, ATV, Vehicle, etc will come with an MSO until it’s registered.

dry3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma has gone to digital titles etc you can still request a paper title currently and in the future, you may have to wait awhile though. I have recently received two paper titles.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Time was, when a person got the title for their vehicle and it had been financed, one still got the title, but the title also listed the lender as the "lienholder." When our Ford F450 and RV were paid off, we got lien releases from the lender(s) and the state then issued new titles without the lienholder's name.
I've never seen a new title sent once the lien is released. The lien holder is on the title until the ownership changes, thus the reason you have to keep the lien release to prove it was paid off.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never seen a new title sent once the lien is released. The lien holder is on the title until the ownership changes, thus the reason you have to keep the lien release to prove it was paid off.
After the lien release was entered, you could request a new title with the lien removed. I did that for one of my vehicles, for a fee, of course.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After the lien release was entered, you could request a new title with the lien removed. I did that for one of my vehicles, for a fee, of course.
Correct, but one is not automatically sent which was what the post I quoted indicated. Granted I've only had vehicles with liens in OK for about 40 years, so maybe sometime prior to that it was different.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's been many years ago but I've sent in the lien release and got a clear title void the lien holder back

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correct, but one is not automatically sent which was what the post I quoted indicated. Granted I've only had vehicles with liens in OK for about 40 years, so maybe sometime prior to that it was different.
That's my experience as well--you could request a new title, but the lien release didn't automatically result in a new title being sent. When I went to get the new title sans lien, the tag agent actually asked why I was even bothering with it.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's my experience as well--you could request a new title, but the lien release didn't automatically result in a new title being sent. When I went to get the new title sans lien, the tag agent actually asked why I was even bothering with it.
Some people just like having the lien off of the title, and since 90+% of people typically misplace the lien release it makes it easier when you sell I guess. I made that mistake once, had a guy sitting at my kitchen table with a large sum of cash counted out to buy our car, I had the title, but had to tear my office apart to find the lien release. After that all titles and releases go into the same file.

Latest posts

Top Bottom