Oklahoma a title holding state again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our daughter is in a similar boat. She went through the process of buying her first car completely on her own. The dealership has been no help at all. She bought hers before the law went into place and she should have her title. The title clerk has been absolutely horrible and now she’s overdue. I told her to ask for the manager and diplomatically chew some arse.
The dealer will give her a new temp tag, but you have to do a new contract to get it. I went through this with a car from FL.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DIL just tried to tag their newish car. Just need proof of sales price at the agency to pay excise tax I guess. I liked knowing my titles were in the safe but I guess that’s a no go now.
We just bought a car last week and no one at the dealer mentioned anything about it. I probably would have waited a month then questioned what was going on. Oh well.
I was in the tagency today, read an announcement that stated Oklahoma is a title state.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same Difference, I was just trying not to get technical. A used vehicle would have a title bought from a dealership or private party. Buying a kayak, ATV, Vehicle, etc will come with an MSO until it’s registered.
No longer required to register a kayak, or canoe unless the canoe has a square stern designed for an outboard motor.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a car from Carvana in mid-March. Just got my title in the mail last week.
Cost me ~$210 in penalties.

In their defense, every other aspect of buying from them was great, but still, if you're handing me keys without having the title ready and available to mail ASAP I have some legal questions about that.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tax commission has a notice on their web site that all titles with leans will go to the lean holder. No big deal for me. As long as I know where the title is.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a car from Carvana in mid-March. Just got my title in the mail last week.
Cost me ~$210 in penalties.

In their defense, every other aspect of buying from them was great, but still, if you're handing me keys without having the title ready and available to mail ASAP I have some legal questions about that.

There have been a number of news stories about Carvana not having titles to the vehicles that they sell. One that I vaguely remember was that the guy went 9 or 10 months before getting a title. There is a fair bit of speculation as to whether they are buying stolen cars at times.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tax commission has a notice on their web site that all titles with leans will go to the lean holder. No big deal for me. As long as I know where the title is.
I wonder if this was driven by the Big Red debacle where the dealership was taking out loans on cars in inventory, sometimes multiple loans per vehicle.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if this was driven by the Big Red debacle where the dealership was taking out loans on cars in inventory, sometimes multiple loans per vehicle.
Possible.

Could also be a cost cutting measure by the state as well. I noticed that they do electronic titles as well now. Unless I mis read. I can see the electronic becoming the new norm. Licenses, registrations and titles all on our phones.

Latest posts

Top Bottom