Oklahoma Concealed carry???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jvarela

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm new to oklahoma so don't know how the law works. I have been trying to see if I am able to carry my gun concealed WITHOUT a permit? I have looked it up multiple times and get different answers of yes and no. I will be getting my permit to carry just want to know if I can do so now until I get around to it. I know I can open carry just not interested, thanks.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is a permitless carry state. I don’t know how long you have to be here to be considered a resident. I don’t know if that matters. You can still get an Oklahoma Carry Permit if you want to. That really is only if you want other states to honor an Oklahoma permit. We can carry open or concealed without a permit. I plan on renewing my permit.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't carry without knowing (and obeying) the law including knowing prohibited places (including Federal - e.g. post office property including parking lots). Don't become a felon by being stupid.

You do have to be a resident to get a handgun license (e.g. get an OK driver license) for sure. Not sure about constitutional carry otherwise.

Read and re-read: https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/2020_SDA_Law_Book.pdf

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really should read the entire Self Defense Act so you not only know IF you are qualified to carry, but where and when it is prohibited.

https://osbi.ok.gov/sites/g/files/gmc476/f/2020_SDA_Law_Book.pdf
I believe page 22, section A, paragraph 6 is what you're looking for, it says "this section shall not prohibit.... carrying.... by a person who is 21 years of age or older...."

It doesn't say anything about being a resident, except an earlier section describes a resident essentially as someone "...with an Oklahoma ID or Drivers License who maintains a residence in Oklahoma". However, that relates to obtaining a permit, not simply carrying without a permit.

That would be my understanding. I'm not a lawyer. You really need to read the entire SDA before you carry.

You can also email Don Spencer at Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association, I'm sure he gets these questions all the time and could give you an immediate and accurate answer.

https://www.ok2a.org/

Jvarela

New to the site!
Reaction score
Yeah I'm definitely qualified, 24 years old, OK driver I'd, clean background, I do understand where I can and can't carry, I really don't do much, just want to carry to the store and around town with my kids and wife. The whole thing is just didn't understand if concealed was under the constitutional carry or if it was just open carry under that law.
I even called some of my local police department and they all had no clue just said "uhhhhhhh I'm not sure maybe call this number" so that was no help

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah I'm definitely qualified, 24 years old, OK driver I'd, clean background, I do understand where I can and can't carry, I really don't do much, just want to carry to the store and around town with my kids and wife. The whole thing is just didn't understand if concealed was under the constitutional carry or if it was just open carry under that law.
I even called some of my local police department and they all had no clue just said "uhhhhhhh I'm not sure maybe call this number" so that was no help
I am confused then as to why you are getting conflicting or uncertain answers... the SDA is very clear that unless you are one of a few prohibited persons, or in one of a few places where carry is prohibited, then no... generally speaking you don't need a permit for concealed carry. The phrase "concealed OR unconcealed" (emph. mine) appears dozens of times in the SDA, and there are only a few exceptions where you see either word without the other.

Maybe it's how you ask the question? I dunno... but if the question is just do I have to have a license for concealed carry, that's a pretty clear "no".
The only place I can think of off the top of my head that is different is places where alcohol is served, otherwise if you can't legally carry concealed without a license, you probably can't legally carry at all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom